Our mission is to help students understand what they need to do to earn a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) at University of Houston-Downtown.
Advisors provide assistance with curriculum planning and information about courses required. We are dedicated to providing every business student with the necessary information and resources to achieve a successful academic career.
Students must schedule their initial advising appointment immediately upon admission to the Marilyn Davies College of Business. Students are not assigned a particular advisor; any member of the team can help with questions about degree requirements and UHD policies. In addition, advising is handled during flexible hours, including late evenings.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get advising help from the Marilyn Davies College of Business?
How do I declare my business major?
What are the requirements for admission to the Marilyn Davies College of Business?
How do I register for classes?
How do I make an appointment?
What are the overall grade requirements for my BBA?
How do I apply for graduation?
When do I apply for graduation?
How do I get advising help from the Davies College of Business?
For undeclared majors, you can find the course requirements for your degree in the
UHD Online Catalog.
Students can also keep track of which courses they have taken using their degree-specific program guide:
How do I declare my business major?
Declaration of a Business major is a two-step process:
- Apply for admission to the Davies College of Business (COB).
- Upon admission, you'll be notified via your UHD Gator account with instructions to proceed to the Davies COB Advising Office.
How to apply for a major online?
- Click on
- Choose My Advising and Major from the student e-services menu
- Apply for a Major
- Log in
- Select Major
- An advisor will contact you if necessary
What are the requirements for Admission to the Davies College of Business?
Consistent with UHD’s commitment to quality undergraduate education, the Davies College of Business adopts this policy regarding admissions, the declaration of majors, course enrollment and requirements for graduation for BBA degree programs.
Students may apply for admission to the Davies College of Business and simultaneously declare a major in business if the following requirements are met:
- completion of 42 hours of the common core requirements,
- completion of College Algebra with a grade of “C” or higher,
- satisfactory completion of Texas Success Initiative (TSI) requirements,
- no transcript or cashier holds, and
- minimum GPA of 2.50:
- Students currently enrolled at UHD: GPA of 2.50 or higher on all work done at UHD
- Joint-admission community college/UHD students: GPA of 2.50 or higher at the college/university most recently attended
- New transfer students: GPA of 2.50 or higher at the college/university most recently attended
How do I get approved for classes?
Undeclared majors start with general academic advisors located in N-320 in the One Main bldg.; a referral will be sent on your behalf if necessary.
Pre- and co-requisite courses:
- Students may be dropped from any class for which they lack a prerequisite or co-requisite.
- A course that is a co-requisite for another course may not be dropped unless the student drops both courses.
Upper-level courses: For students who wish to register for upper-level (33**/43**) courses in the Davies College of Business:
- An advisor must authorize registration for these courses.
- Students not admitted to the Davies College of Business who wish to take upper-level COB courses must have an overall grade point average of 2.0 on course work completed at UHD and meet all other requirements.
How Do I Make an Appointment?
Advising is by appointment only. Students need to call 713-221-8675 to set up an appointment. Advisors are always busier during registration, so students should plan ahead and visit them prior to pre-registration to avoid long waits.
What are the Overall Grade Requirements for my BBA?
Students are responsible for meeting graduation requirements for both the Davies College of Business and UHD:
GPA: Students must have a minimum 2.0 GPA on all course work taken in the Davies College of Business.
At least 25 percent of the semester credit hours must be earned through instruction offered by UHD.
Eighteen of the last 30 semester credit hours must be in upper-level course work as approved by Davies College of Business.
Prior to beginning the final 30 semester credit hours, students must request approval through the Advising Office if they wish to take junior and/or senior level courses at another college or university, including any other campus of the UH System, and apply the credits earned toward their degree. Courses taken without such approval will not be counted toward the fulfillment of degree requirements.
Only the Dean of the Davies College of Business may waive any portion of these requirements and only upon written petition by a student who has demonstrated extraordinary ability.
How Do I Apply for Graduation?
- A student must first
apply for graduation.
- Subsequently, the student will receive approval from the Assistant Dean in order to enroll in BA 4302 Business Strategy (Capstone Business course).
- BA 4302 prerequisites:
- a declared business major,
- completion of ALL general education requirements, view in
- completion of ALL business core requirements, view in
When Do I Apply for Graduation?
Generally, the Business student should apply for graduation the semester before his final term.
Graduation Application Deadlines
November 6, 2017 - January 12, 2018
May Term 2018
March 12, 2018 - April 20, 2018
Summer I 2018
April 16, 2018 - May 31, 2018
Summer III 2018
April 16, 2018 - July 5, 2018