BBA in Accounting
Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting
The Accounting Department provides three programs for our students.UHD's Bachelor
of Business Administration (BBA) in Accounting is a 120-credit hour program. Accounting
5th year students can complete a bachelor and master’s degree in five years by adding
another 30-credit hours of upper-level accounting courses, to earn a Master of Professional Accountancy degree and qualify to sit for the Certified Public Accountancy (CPA) examination
in Texas as required by the Texas State Board of Public Accounting (TSBPA). This
design allows our students to earn both undergraduate and graduate accounting degrees
in five years if they are full-time students. In addition to the degree programs,
we offer a Graduate Certificate in accounting.
Compared to other professions, the scholastic path to becoming an accountant is relatively
quick. Being able to earn two degrees or professional credentials in half the time makes
the accounting path appealing for ambitious emerging professionals who are eager to
lead in business analytics.
Graduates from our accounting programs emerge with an enhanced eligibility to explore
their full potential in numerous areas of careers, such as, public accounting, private
accounting and government and not-for-profit accounting. Popular jobs for accounting
majors with a bachelor's degree include staff accountant, staff auditor, financial
analyst, budget analyst, cost estimator and tax reviewer. With a master's degree in
accounting, students will have more opportunities to consider, such as: lead accountant,
auditing manager, senior budget analyst, financial manager, compliance office, controller,
etc. An accounting education also serves as an excellent background for students who
plan to pursue graduate studies or careers in law.
Texas Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Exam Preparation
For students interested in becoming a CPA, UHD's five-year bachelor's and master's combination program fosters their success. In Texas, to become a CPA you are required to: complete a 150-credit hour educational program at an accredited college or university, pass the uniform CPA examination, and attain a level of professional work experience in accounting.
Exam/Qualifications – Requirements for Examination
You must meet the following qualifications to take the CPA exam:
- Complete the electronic fingerprint process for a background check with the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
- Hold a baccalaureate or higher degree from a board-recognized United States college or university, or an equivalent degree as determined by board rules from an institution of higher education in another country.
- Complete 150-semester hours or quarter-hour equivalents of college credit.
- Complete 30-semester hours or quarter-hour equivalents of upper-level accounting courses from a board-recognized college or university. Within the coursework two-semester hours of accounting or tax research and analysis are required .
- Complete 24-semester hours or quarter-hour equivalents of upper-level related business courses. Within the coursework two-semester hours of accounting or business communications are required.
- Complete a 3-semester hour TSBPA approved ethics course.
Contact the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy for further information about possible exemptions/grace period.
TSBPA Qualifications/Exams: 512-305-7805 or 512-305-7851 FAX: 512-305-7875.
UHD's accounting department has strong connections to Houston accounting firms and community. Accounting students enjoy the advantages of paid internships at local, U.S. and global industry and CPA firms, while working, learning, and growing within the profession and earning academic credit. We also provide scholarships and graduate assistantship opportunities for our students.
For the internship program, please visit Marilyn Davies Career Services in B104.
An accounting degree from UHD provides measurable outcomes to our graduates. Besides
becoming productive members of society, graduating with an accounting degree from
UHD adds countless economic advantages with life-changing career possibilities. We
look forward to working with you during your time at UHD.