Respondus Student FAQs
What is Respondus Lockdown Browser and how do I get it on my computer?
- LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the assessment environment, making students unable to print, copy/paste, or switch to different applications. Students will be required to use Respondus LockDown Browser only for assessments that the instructor has selected to require students to use the application.
Where can I find Quick Start Guides for Respondus LockDown Browser?
- Student Quick Start Guide
What are the Respondus LockDown Browser operating system requirements?
- Windows: 11, 10*
- Mac: MacOS 10.13 to 14.0+
- iOS: 11.0+ (iPad only). Must have a compatible LMS integration.
Does anything need to be installed on a computer for Respondus LockDown Browser to be used for an online exam?
- Yes, the application program for Respondus LockDown Browser must be installed on the computer. Instructors should provide the download link for students.
Why can’t I access a quiz?
- The quiz is not available
- The quiz has ended
- The maximum number of attempts for the quiz have been reached
Why can’t I access the next quiz attempts?
- The next quiz attempt cannot be accessed until the previous quiz attempt has been submitted. Submit the first attempt in order to access the second attempt.
What should I do if answers stop saving in the middle of a quiz?
- Questions no longer saving in the middle of a quiz.
- User has been saving answers as they complete each question
- User has lost their "session."
- User has been disconnected with the server.
- The form data saved on the quiz no longer moves to the server when the user clicks on the save button.
- As long as time remains on the quiz: Restart Respondus LockDown Browser; return to the course and restart the quiz.
- If you are unable to return to the quiz; contact your instructor immediately.
Is Respondus LockDown Browser accessible to students with disabilities?
- Yes. The Mac version of LockDown Browser works with VoiceOver (the standard screen reader that comes with the MacOS). LockDown Browser's functions and security remain the same when VoiceOver is used.
- The Windows version of LockDown Browser (version 220.127.116.11 and newer) allows a student to use screen reader accessibility programs, such as JAWS and Windows-Eyes. However, the security level of LockDown Browser is lowered when screen readers are used. To address this, the instructor must enable a setting that permits specific students to use a screen reader application with LockDown Browser.
Can I use my computer on a wireless network to take an exam with Respondus LockDown Browser?
- We strongly recommend using an Ethernet (wired) Internet connection while taking your exam in LockDown Browser. If you use a wireless, USB modem, laptop connect card, or mobile hotspot connection during an exam, you are more likely to run into problems due to dropped/interrupted connections to the Canvas server. This is because the Canvas server is more bandwidth intensive (especially during exams) than normal Internet surfing.
- If you lose your Internet connection during the exam, it can lock up the browser and not allow you to save answers, move on to other questions, submit or exit the exam. Ethernet connections are the most stable connection to the Canvas server. If you have a router, plugging directly into it when taking exams will reduce the chances of connection interruptions.
Can an iPad be used with LockDown Browser?
- While there is an app for the LockDown Browser an iPad does not respond well.
I expected Respondus LockDown Browser to automatically launch when I clicked on the exam.
- Respondus LockDown Browser is a separate application program from Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc. Depending on the type of Canvas quiz you are taking (New vs Classic), you will need to follow the instructions to successfully take the quiz on LockDown Browser. Visit this support page for more information.
How do I take tests in Blackboard?
- The Test tool allows you to take tests, quizzes, exams or complete surveys online. Instructors can place links to tests in any content area, although some may have created an Assessments area in the Course Tools Menu. Your instructor will identify where tests will be linked within his or her course.
- More information on Taking a Test in Blackboard.
- Downloading the UHD Respondus LockDown Browser.
I had a problem during my test in Blackboard, what do I do?
- From time to time abnormalities might occur during a test session. If an error message is received while taking a test, "print screen" the error and send the error message to your instructor. If there is time left on an exam after an abnormal occurrence, re-enter and continue with the exam and note any further abnormalities.
- Please keep in mind that UHD IT Staff are extremely limited in the actions they can perform for graded materials and they are not allowed to access courses without instructor permission.
- UHD Faculty (instructors and academic administrators) are the final word concerning tests and all other graded materials in a course.