Using LockDown Browser with Canvas - Student Instructions
Instructors may require students to use Respondus Lockdown Browser to take quizzes and tests within Canvas courses. Students will need to first install and then run LockDown Browser in place of their usual browser to take the quiz or test.
When to Use LockDown Browser
Installing LockDown Browser
* While Chromebooks will work across most all applications across UHD, Chromebooks will not work while taking an exam using Respondus Lock Down Browser and Monitor.
Taking Your Test: Classic Quizzes Vs. New Quizzes
You will know the version of the test that you are taking based on the symbol of the rocket ship that's visible in the course. If the icon is the outline like its pictured below, you are taking a Classic Quiz:
When you are ready to take your test, close all applications on your computer and open the newly downloaded software. Do not open any other browser to access the internet. Use Respondus LockDown Browser to access the internet.
1. After opening the Software, you may be asked to select a server. Select UHD Canvas.
2. Respondus will try to close any open applications on your computer.
3. Login to Canvas.
4. Select your class, navigate to your exam and begin taking your test.
You'll know you're about to take a New Quiz in Canvas if the rocket ship icon is solid, pictured below:
The process to take a quiz in this format in Lockdown Browser is different than Classic Quizzes, so please ensure to follow these instructions to be able to take your exam.
- For New Quizzes, you'll start in your normal Web browser (Chrome/Firefox/Safari), login as normal and navigate to your course.
- Launch the Quiz that needs to be taken in Lockdown Browser
- New quizzes will launch Lockdown Browser for you and take you right to your exam
Best Practices for LockDown Browser
- See System Requirements
- Tests should be accessed through links in Content Areas only. Content Areas are typically labeled Assessments or Tests, or otherwise inside a Course Content area. Do not access tests through What’s Due in the To Do module or from Due Date links in the Calendar tool.
- Sufficient bandwidth and other resources should be made available. Tests should not be taken on wireless devices.
- Make sure you set aside enough time to take the exam without interruptions.
- Take your exams in a quiet area.
- Review the Student Honesty Policy
For additional support, visit http://uhd.edu/bbhelpform