Traffic Safety on Campus
Every day, thousands of motorists, including buses and construction vehicles, operate in the university community. Additionally, hundreds of bicycles, pedestrians, in-line skaters and skateboarders converge on campus.
- Wear your seatbelt!
- Yield the right of way to pedestrians in a crosswalk.
- Be alert for people acting unpredictably and crossing at non-crosswalk locations.
- Pay particular attention when approaching buses unloading passengers; pedestrians often cross in front of the bus, particularly at a crosswalk.
- Travel in the street or on paths clearly marked as bike lanes. When you travel on a shared path, ride slowly, yielding the right of way to pedestrians.
- When traveling in hours of darkness, a head and tail light are required by law.
- Wear bright and/or reflective clothing, both day and night.
- Do not wear headphones! Even if the device is inactive or used in compliance with the law, headphones block sound. and increase your risk of missing an important sensory indicator of danger.
- Skateboarders, hoover-boards and scooters are regulated by Texas traffic laws and
are not allowed on roadways.