CHSS also serves every UHD student, regardless of major, by supporting core curriculum components, creating opportunities for interactive education, and encouraging community engagement through co-curricular initiatives.
D. Fulton, Ph.D., Dean
D. Ryden, Ph.D., Associate Dean
C. Guillory, M.A., Assistant Dean
10 Reasons to Choose UHD for Your Humanities or Social Science Degree?
10. We offer merit-based scholarships specifically for students in CHSS programs.
Students can apply for scholarships offering up to $2000 per semester for school expenses and research funding.
9. We take learning beyond the classroom with co-curricular activities.
Students can tailor their CHSS experience by performing in the O'Kane Theater, displaying works at the O'Kane Gallery, or joining any number of academic student organizations.
8. We will introduce you to our large network of professional contacts.
The College hosts mixers, educational workshops, and lecture series where students can connect with top experts and employers.
7. You can see the world with our Study Abroad programs.
University of Houston-Downtown CHSS students have studied Spanish in Costa Rica, African American Psychology in Ghana, and Travel Writing in Taiwan.
6. We have smaller class sizes.
The average class size in the College is less than 26 students, so faculty can dedicate the time and attention you need to succeed.
5. Location, location, location.
UHD is located in the center of the city, just minutes away from the theatre district, world-class museums and galleries, and public service organizations.
4. You will learn from top faculty.
The faculty in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at UHD is comprised of award-winning scholars who are committed to personal excellence and ethical, innovative research in their respective fields.
3. Humanities and Social Sciences is the fastest-growing college at UHD.
CHSS has seen an average annual growth of 13% for the past 9 years due to the marketplace demand for liberal arts skills.
2. You will earn more money.
In recent years, UHD CHSS graduates have earned $7,000 above the median salary in Texas during their first year after graduation.
Reason No. 1: Our students are hired.
The rigorous coursework of a liberal arts degree helps students develop transferrable and marketable skills that employers value.