The College of Humanities and Social Sciences Advising Center’s mission is to help students understand the requirements and steps to take to earn a bachelor’s degree in humanities or social sciences.
Advisors provide assistance with degree planning and information about required courses. We are dedicated to providing every CHSS student with the necessary information and resources to accomplish academic success and to graduate in a timely manner.
- Phone appointments are only available on Fridays & can ONLY be scheduled by calling the office.
- It is against CHSS Advising policy to schedule more than one appointment in a single day; unless authorized by a CHSS advisor.
- If you are un able to schedule an appointment online, please call to schedule an appointment at 713-221-8460.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the requirements for graduation?
How do I make an appointment with an advisor?
713-221-8460 to make an appointment, or
schedule an appointment online. Walk-in advising is available on Mondays and Tuesdays.
I am unable to register online. Why?
There are a few reasons why you may be unable to register online.
- Holds: The parking, cashier, and financial aid offices can place account holds. Please visit the appropriate office the resolve your hold before registering.
- Registration timeframes: Registration is open during set times, based on student status. Double-check the registration schedule to ensure it is your turn to register.
- Academic probation: Students with a GPA below 2.0 are required to get approval from the department chair prior to registration.
If you still need assistance, contact the Registrar’s Office at 713-221-8999.
How do I get a degree waiver?
Students seeking to waive any degree requirements must go to the CHSS Advising Center to meet with an advisor and petition for a degree waiver. For degree completion, students must complete at least 18 upper level hours and the final 30 hours of the degree at UHD. The Assistant or Associate Dean must approve any variation from these requirements before you register for a course at another institution.
For more information regarding the graduation application process and deadlines, see
Graduation Application & Information page.