Alternative Work Arrangements
The University of Houston-Downtown endeavors to foster a work environment that maximizes productivity and flexibility for supervisors and staff. To promote general work and campus space efficiencies, the University may permit or direct employees to follow alternative work arrangements for all or part of the workweek.
At the discretion of the University, employees may be allowed short- or long-term alternative work arrangements, provided they continue to serve their customers effectively and efficiently and meet established institutional and departmental goals. Alternative work arrangements may include flexibility associated with work locations, modalities and/or schedules, as outlined on this page.
- Alternative Work Arrangements Options
- Occasional Remote Work, Alternate Work Schedules Or Compressed Workweeks
- Steps For Requesting A Remote Or Hybrid Alternative Work Arrangement
- Access Training
- Additional Information
Alternative Work Arrangements Options
- Hybrid Work (Working at an alternate work location for up to two days per week)
- Remote Work (100% remote work)
- Alternate Work Schedules (e.g., 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
- Compressed Workweek (e.g., 4 10-hour days per week)
- Occasional Alternate Work Arrangements (Working at an alternate work location occasionally)
Occasional Remote Work, Alternate Work Schedules Or Compressed Workweeks
Requests for alternate work schedules, compressed workweeks, or occasional alternate work locations (#3-#5 above) do not require completion of this process. Requests may be presented directly to supervisor.
- Employed at UHD for at least 90 days. This 90-day requirement also applies to staff transferring to a different department. Approval for earlier participation may be granted by the employee's respective vice president.
- Not on disciplinary action or Performance Improvement Plan (PIP) within the past six months.
- Overall score of meets or exceeds expectations in the most recent annual performance evaluation process.
Steps For Requesting A Remote Or Hybrid Alternative Work Arrangement
- Determine if your position is eligible for alternative work arrangements by accessing
the Alternative Work Options list.
- Complete remote work training available in the Training Access Portal (TAP) (detailed instructions in the Access Training section ) by selecting course #AW2401. After you complete this training, save the email confirmation as your proof of completion.
- Supervisors having direct reports on an alternative work arrangement are also required to complete additional supervisor remote work training available in the Training Access Portal (TAP) (detailed instructions the Access Training section) by selecting course #AW2402.
- Please note: courses #AW2401 and #AW2402 are only available until Thursday, August 31, 2023. A different TAP course will have to be taken by staff who wish to enroll in the AWA program on Friday, September 1, 2023, or later.
- In total, employees participating in an Alternative Work Arrangement will be responsible for completing one TAP course (#AW2401). Supervisors will be responsible for completing two TAP courses (#AW2401 and #AW2402). However, employees and supervisors only need to complete TAP training courses once regardless of when an applicant applies for the AWA program. TAP training does not need to be completed yearly.
- Complete a minimum of one (1) hour of LinkedIn Learning courses that focus on maintaining
productivity while working remotely. The required training may be accessed in LinkedIn Learning (detailed instructions the Access Training section) by selecting Working Remotely (Non-Managers) . (After you complete this training, please save the certificate of completion, which
you will attach to your alternative work agreement.)
- Supervisors having direct reports on an alternative work arrangement are also required to complete a minimum of one (1) additional hour of learning activities that focus on effectively managing remote employees. The required training may be accessed in LinkedIn Learning (detailed instructions the Access Training section) by selecting Working Remotely (Managers) .
- Complete the Alternative Work Agreement by the priority deadline of Tuesday, August 1 in order to ensure the most appropriate
parking election options are made available.
- Alternative Work Agreements will be accepted year-round to accommodate staff members who become eligible for the program after August 1 and/or staff members who decide to participate in the program after August 1.
- Staff members who submit an Alternative Work Agreement after August 1 will receive a revised suite of parking options if their Alternative Work Agreement is approved.
- If your request is approved, you may begin working at your alternate work location as agreed and for the period indicated.
To enroll in AW2401 and/or AW2402:
- Login to PASS.
- Select "Request Training Enrollment" located on the left menu.
- Select "Search by Course Number".
- Enter "AW2401" or "AW2402" then click "search".
- The course will be displayed. Select the "View Available Sessions" hyperlink.
- Select session "0001".
- Select "Continue".
- Select "Submit".
- Select "OK".
You will receive an email confirming your enrollment request. The course(s) will be available to complete in your TAP portal on the day after the enrollment request is submitted.
To access TAP, log in using your UHD network credentials:
TAP Login Site: Training Access Portal (T.A.P.)
User ID: UHD username
Password: UHD network/email password
To access LinkedIn Learning:
- Navigate to LinkedIn Learning.
- Click Sign in.
- Enter your username followed by @uhd.edu
- If you have NOT linked your LinkedIn Personal Account to LinkedIn Learning then you will be directed to sign in with your SSO credentials. If you HAVE linked your LinkedIn Personal Account to LinkedIn Learning please skip to step 6.
- Log in with your standard username and password
- If you have linked your LinkedIn Personal account to LinkedIn Learning you will be prompted to enter your LinkedIn password - enter that password
- After logging into LinkedIn you will then be prompted to log in using the SSO
- Log in with your standard username and password
Additional details may be obtained by accessing UHD's Alternative Work Arrangements Policy.
- Questions about the status of AWA applications – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions about TAP and/or LinkedIn Learning requirements – email@example.com
- Other questions about the AWA program – firstname.lastname@example.org