Skip to main content

Cost of Higher Education

Important Information Regarding Your Cost of Higher Education

Like all public universities in Texas, UHD is funded by the state of Texas. Funds generated from tuition and fees cover only a portion of the cost of instruction at the university, while the majority of funding comes from state itself according to rules established by the Texas legislature. Because of its role in funding universities, over the years the State has grown more interested in encouraging students to complete their degrees as quickly as possible. In order to accomplish this, they have imposed restrictions on the funding they are willing to provide universities.

Current Restrictions that Affect Tuition and Fees

Some of you have already been affected by some of these restrictions, such as the third repeat rule and excessive developmental hours rule. Recent legislation states that classes attempted by students for the third time or more will not be supported by the state nor will they support more than 18 hours of developmental course work. This means that students will be charged the full cost of tuition and fees for classes that exceed the approved limits.

Excess Course Attempts
In accordance with state law, effective Fall 2018 the University of Houston-Downtown is charging a fee of $80 per semester credit hour for the following:

Courses repeated for the third time beginning with the Fall 2002 semester. If a course has been previously attempted twice (or more) at UHD, the third (or subsequent) enrollment will result in the additional charge. An attempt is defined as an enrollment that results in any letter grade (including F and W). If the course is dropped, the refund in effect at the time of the withdrawal will be applied to the additional charge as well.

Enrollment in a developmental course exceeding 9 hours of developmental work. Once 9 attempted hours of course work has been accumulated, registration in a developmental course will result in the additional charge. An attempt is defined as an enrollment that results in a letter grade (including S, U, IP and W). A developmental course is defined as ENG 1101, ENG 1201, ENG 1300, ENG 130A, MATH 030C, MATH 030L, MATH 0300, MATH 1201, MATH 120C, MATH 130L, MATH 130T, MATH 1300, RDG 1101, RDG 1201, RDG 130C and RDG 1300. If the course(s) is dropped, the refund in effect at the time of the withdrawal will be applied to the additional charge as well.

New Restrictions that Affect Tuition and Fees

In addition, state legislation put into effect several years ago states that courses taken by any student who attempt more than 45 hours over those required by their degree plans will not be funded by the state. For instance, if the major you are pursuing requires that you complete 132 hours and you attempt (not complete, but attempt) more than 177 hours, the state will not provide funds for those courses and you will be charged the difference, essentially equivalent to the rate charged to non-resident and international students.

Do these Restrictions Apply to Me?

The 45-hour restriction applies to students who began college at a public institution in Texas Fall 1999 or later. Students who start college in Texas Fall 2006 or later will be limited to 30 hours over the number required by their degree plan.

What Classes Are Counted Toward the Restriction?

Any class you have attempted other than those listed below. An attempt includes any class that appears on your transcript even if you received a W or an F. If you have repeated a class, both attempts count toward your limit. Also counted toward the restricted limit are additional hours that are required for a minor or a double major.

Are There Exemptions to the Restriction?

Certain courses are exempt from this rule. They are:

  • Coursework taken by students who have already obtained a bachelors degree
  • Credit earned by exam (i.e. CLEP and AP)
  • Developmental credit (though developmental credit is limited to 18 under its own restriction. See Excess Course Attempts)
  • Credit taken at private or out-of-state colleges or universities

What Should I Do?

In order to minimize the cost of your education, you should:

  • make every effort to not drop nor repeat classes unless absolutely necessary
  • declare your major as soon as you are allowed
  • follow the degree plan outlined by your college
  • meet with an advisor regularly to make sure you are not taking unnecessary classes