Skip to main content

Pre-Retirement Checklist

Teacher Retirement System (TRS)

  • Contact TRS six months prior to retirement (suggested) to allow sufficient time for completion of TRS required-forms.

Optional Retirement Program (ORP)

  • Contact your ORP provider or financial advisor three months before retirement to review distribution options and beneficiary designations.

Notifications (At least six month's notice is recommended)

  • Notify the Benefits office of your intent to retire from UHD.
  • Notify your supervisor of your intent to retire from UHD.

Retiree Insurance

Insurance does not automatically continue when you retire. Information concerning eligibility for UHD retiree insurance can be found on the Retiree Insurance Overview page. Eligible retirees must take the following actions to ensure a smooth transition.

  1. TRS retirees must submit a copy of their TRS 30 Application for Service Retirement to HR.
  2. Complete TRS/ORP Retiree Insurance Enrollment Form and return to HR Benefits Office.
  3. Billing for retiree insurance is managed by ERS.

Personal Information

  • Ensure your address, email and emergency contact information is current in PASS.


  • Medicare is administered by the Social Security Administration (SSA) and is available at age 65 (younger if due to a disability). HR highly recommends that retirees contact Medicare at least three months prior to when you need benefits to start. Retirees should enroll in Medicare Parts A and B online or by phone at (800) 772-1213.
  • If eligible for the state retiree insurance, retirees should always decline enrollment in parts C and D.
  • If over age 65, please request forms CMS-40B and CMS-L564 from the SSA. Form CMS-L564 should be sent to the HR Benefits office for completion by a Benefits Specialist. Please complete this process at least three months before your retirement date.
  • If you are eligible for ERS retiree insurance, notify ERS of your medicare status 45 days before your retirement date.

Social Security Benefits

  • Social Security benefits are available at age 62 or older. Retirees should contact the SSA at least three months before the date you want benefits to start. You may apply online, in person, or by calling the SSA at (800) 772-1213. Please note that not all individuals are able to apply online or by phone.

Voluntary Retirement Programs

  • Individuals currently or previously contributing to the 403(b) and/or the 457(b) should contact their provider or financial advisor to review distribution options and beneficiary designations. HR suggests that you contact your provider or financial advisor at least three months prior to retiring.
  • an approved provider in order to successfully defer unused time off pay.

Sick Leave Pool Donation

  • Accrued Sick leave is not paid to you when you retire, however you may donate your unused balance to the Sick Leave Pool. If interested, please complete and submit a Sick Leave Pool Donation Form.

Retiree Email

  • If you would like a retiree email, please notify the benefits office.