Teacher Retirement System
The Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) provides retirement (pension) benefits to all benefits-eligible UHD employees.
With TRS, employees:
- Are vested upon completion of 5 years of creditable service.
- Contribute 8.25% of their gross salary monthly. The state contributes 8.25% of the employee's gross salary to a state account.
- Earn interest at a rate of 2% annually on their account balance.
- Are eligible for "regular retirement" at age 65 with a minimum of 5 years of participation.
- Have optional "early retirement" with reduced benefits at age 55 with a minimum of 5 years participation.
- Receive under the standard annuity option, benefits calculated as 2.3% times the total years of membership in TRS times the average salary for the highest five years.
- Life insurance equal to twice an employee's salary to a maximum of $80,000 and and disability income benefits.
Additional TRS benefits include life insurance and disability income benefits. For more information on TRS retirement benefits contact HR's Benefits Team.
Further information can be found on the TRS website.