- The student must be a declared Education major
or a post-baccalaureate student (with a 4-year college degree) who is seriously seeking teaching certification in Texas
- The student must be registered for or plan to register for
Block III and
Student Teaching in the semester for which the scholarship will be awarded.
- The student must have a 2.7 overall G.P.A.
- The student must conscientiously conduct his or her affairs by exemplifying the highest standards of professional conduct.
Download the application.
You may hand-deliver the application to the Urban Education office, C440, or mail it to:
Gordon and Mary Cain Student Teacher Academic Merit Scholarship Committee
University of Houston-Downtown: Department of Urban Education
One Main Street Commerce Building C-440
Houston, Texas 77002
Turning in the application to a professor or advisor does not guarantee that it will be received in C440 by the deadline. Send your application by certified mail if you want to be assured that it is received in C440 by the deadline.
The deadline for the submission of applications is as follows:
Spring Semester....First Friday of November at 5pm
Fall Semester.........First Friday of April at 5pm
Application information should be submitted in one envelope to the Department of Urban Education, C440. Applications will not be accepted after the date and time shown above. Remember to plan ahead and request transcripts in time to meet the deadline.
- Remember to include all requested items in one envelope.
- Incomplete applications and applications received in more than one envelope will be disqualified.
- Applications received after the 5 p.m. deadline on either the first Friday in November for the spring semester or the first Friday in April for the fall semester will not be considered.
- Have completed all information on the application form.
- Have included a
current UHD transcript in an
officially sealed envelope.
- Have included transcripts of all other colleges and universities I have previously attended (Xerox copies O.K.). Failure to include transcripts of all colleges and universities attended, regardless of how long ago, constitutes academic fraud and will automatically disqualify my application.
- Have been officially admitted into the Urban Education program
- Registered or plan to register for Block III and student teaching in the semester for which the scholarship will be awarded.
- Have at least a 2.7
overall GPA (not just my GPA at UHD).
- Have included the brief typed personal information requested in the application
If you are unable to answer “yes” to all of the items on the checklist, your application is not complete and should not be submitted at this time. Incomplete applications will be disqualified.
This scholarship award will be applied to the tuition and fees for enrollment in Block III and student teaching at the University of Houston-Downtown for the semester for which the scholarship is awarded. Application of the scholarship funds to your tuition fees will be processed by the Office of Financial Aid. The funds will be applied to existing tuition and financial aid obligations, with remaining funds mailed to you.
Please note: Scholarships will be forfeited for recipients who do not complete Block III and student teaching. If this happens and you have already received the funding, you will be required to make arrangements to repay the funds to the UHD Cain Scholarship account as per your signed agreement of scholarship acceptance.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When will I be eligible for this scholarship?
The Cain Scholarship is a competitive scholarship for students who will be enrolling in Block III and student teaching in the upcoming semester. You are eligible to apply for this scholarship the semester prior to enrolling in Block III and doing your student teaching.
2. How much money is the scholarship for?
The amount of the competitive scholarship awarded each semester will depend on fund availability and the number of applicants. If there are numerous applicants and a minimal amount of funds available, the scholarship committee will be more selective in choosing the recipients. The amount received per applicant will range from $500 to $1,000 depending on available funds.
3. Will I be notified when the application is received?
No, you will not be notified when the application is received. It is your responsibility to make sure that it is received on time. Please do not call to inquire if your application has been received. Applications that are received are safely stored until after the application deadline, when all applications are opened at the same time.
4. I am not able to get all of my transcripts now. Can I turn in what I have and send the other transcripts later?
No. Your application will be disqualified if all documents are not received together. Wait until you have the complete information before submitting the application in one envelope.
5. Which transcripts must I include?
You must submit a current, original copy UHD transcript in an officially sealed envelope obtained from the Student Records Office on the 3rd floor of the One Main building. This is based on your current enrollment at the time of application submission. You must also submit transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities (regardless of how long ago you took the coursework). Copies are acceptable. Failure to submit transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities constitutes academic fraud and will automatically disqualify your application.
6. What do you mean by overall GPA?
Your cumulative GPA will be the calculated average of all courses previously completed at UHD and all other colleges and universities.
7. How will I be notified whether or not I have received the scholarship?
All scholarship recipients will be notified by mail before the end of the semester in which you apply.
8. What do I do to pay for my tuition until I know if I have received the scholarship or not?
You must make arrangements to pay for tuition and fees yourself. Your scholarship paperwork will not be processed until after the payment deadline. Talk to the UHD Office of Financial Aid about a short-term loan that can be repaid if you receive the scholarship or other funds. Meeting the payment deadlines for tuition is your responsibility.
9. If I do not receive the scholarship, how can I find out the reason?
If you have any questions, please send a written letter of inquiry to the Scholarship Committee at the address above (#4) or by fax to (713) 226-5294, instead of phone calls. This method ensures a much faster response. Be sure to include your e-mail address in your correspondence.
10. What happens if I receive the scholarship and then drop below 9 hours during the course of the semester?
Scholarships will be forfeited for recipients who drop below 9 semester credit hours during the course of the semester. If you have already received funding, you will be required to make arrangements to repay the funds to the UHD Cain Scholarship account as per your signed agreement of scholarship acceptance.