Skip to main content

College of Public Service

  • Master of Arts in Teaching – Curriculum Instruction (for degreed teachers only)
  • Master of Arts in Teaching – With Certification (for persons who hold an undergraduate degree and wish to seek certification to teach)

Our emphasis on urban teaching makes these graduate degrees unique. Students who wish to apply for either program must follow the application requirements and submission deadlines outlined below.

Admission Requirements

  • Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution. If a student attended a college or university outside the United States, his/her transcripts must be evaluated by a credential evaluation service recognized by UHD.
  • Grade Point Average (GPA) must be a minimum of 2.5
  • International Students: If you are a graduate of a university in which English is not the primary language of instruction, you must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
    • ​A minimum TOEFL score of 600 is required for the paper-based test, a minimum score of 240 is required for the computer-based test or a minimum of 81 is required for the internet-based test.
  • Please note that the fully online delivery of our MAT programs forbids international students on an F1 visa from applying, as they can only complete one online course in a semester. The format of our degree requires students to enroll in a minimum of 6 hours on our scheduled rotation, both of which are online.


  • Submit graduate application via
  • Pay the $35 Graduate Application Processing Fee
  • Deadlines for application submission:
    • Fall Semester – August15
    • Spring Semester – January 9
    • Summer Semester  May 31 
    • Only files fully completed by the deadline will be reviewed for admissions

Graduate Record Exam

Students applying for either graduate program must take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE)

  • Students with a grade point average of 3.5 or higher are exempt from the GRE
  • Students with a grade point average of 3.0 can request a waiver for exemption status which will be reviewed by the Graduate Program Committee. The student will be notified of determination. Please note that waiver requests take additional time to process and determine.

Register for the GRE exam

Required Forms

  • Official transcripts
  • Personal Statement – Students applying for either graduate program must submit a personally written statement that addresses the question: How do you believe your educational and professional background will contribute to your success in the program?
  • Three Recommendation Letters – Students must submit three professional recommendations written on UHD's Graduate Program Recommendation Form. These should be from individuals who can comment on work ethic and/or have observed you working in an educational setting. Click here to download the recommendation form.

Cain Graduate Scholarship

Students who meet the following initial requirements are eligible to apply:

  • Students who have been officially admitted into the MAT or MAT with Certification program at UHD can apply for the Cain Graduate Scholarship.
  • Students who are registered for at least 6 hours and enrolled in the second semester of either the MAT or MAT with Certification program.
  • Students who have a minimum 3.0 overall GPA in the MAT or MAT with Certification program at UHD.
  • Students who have demonstrated a high degree of professionalism and a commitment to teaching in urban schools.

Click here to download the Cain Graduation Scholarship application.

College of Public Service Webmaster
Last updated 10/27/2015 5:06 AM