Skip to main content


Submitting the FAFSA

To receive most types of financial aid—including federal, state, and institutional grants, loans, and work-study eligibility—you must complete the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  If you are not sure if you are eligible to submit the FAFSA, visit College for all Texans website for more information.


The FAFSA is available beginning October 1 for the following school year and must be submitted to the University each year. The priority deadline that UHD would like for students to meet is April 1. Meeting the priority deadline gives you the best chance at being eligible for grant funding that is available on a first come, first served basis. If you do not meet the April 1 deadline, you can still submit the application.

School Code

UHD’s Federal School Code is 003612.

How to File

The FAFSA is an electronic application that is submitted online through To file the FAFSA you will need your and your parent(s) (if dependent) names, social security numbers, dates of birth, and income information. If possible, use completed tax return information on your FAFSA; otherwise, provide your best estimates.

Dependent vs. Independent

Some students are considered independent from their parents and do not have to supply parental information on the FAFSA. For financial aid purposes, there are very specific things that make a student independent from their parents. Press play on the video below to learn more about the differences between a dependent and independent student.

For more information on submitting the FAFSA, please see the Federal Student Aid website:

Summer Financial Aid

Financial aid is generally awarded for the fall and spring semesters. If you would like to be awarded for the summer semester, you must have a completed FAFSA on file for the applicable year and be enrolled in summer courses. Most summer financial aid will require at least halftime enrollment.