Skip to main content


Questions from the Financial Aid FB Live Event

  1. What should we do if our wages have changed since 2020?
    If your financial situation has reduced significantly from what is reflected on your 2020 federal tax return, you may be eligible for a financial aid adjustment. You will need to complete the FAFSA using your 2020 information and then submit the Income Adjustment form to our office once available. 

  2. Where can we see any scholarships that are available?
    Please visit /financial/scholarships/Pages/scholarships-index.aspx for scholarship opportunities.

  3. Do you recommend using the autofill IRS tool to fill out the FAFSA?
    Yes, it is recommended that you use the IRS Data Retrieval tool when completing the tax information sections of the application. It is fast and easy. With a few clicks you can transfer all the information from the IRS directly to your FAFSA application without having manually input the information. It reduces the chances for errors.

  4. What is UHD’s school code?
    The school code is 003612.

  5. What is the difference between the two loans?
    There are two kinds of direct federal loans, a subsidized and unsubsidized loan. The subsidized is a need based loan that the government covers the interest while you are in school.  The unsubsidized is not need based and you are responsible for the interest at the time the loan disburses until it is paid in full.

  6. What is the difference between TASFA and FAFSA?
    FAFSA is for U.S. Citizens or eligible non-citizens to apply for financial aid. TASFA is for undocumented students who are classified as Texas Residents under the HB1403 bill to file for financial aid.

  7. How will the stimulus affect my FAFSA?
    The stimulus has no impact on your FAFSA and should not be reported as part of your income.

  8. If you were not claimed as a dependent on your parent’s taxes, do you still need to provide parent information?
    Whether you are claimed as a dependent on your parent’s taxes does not determine whether parent information is needed. Your dependency status is determined based on the questions in the dependent section of the FAFSA. How you answer those questions will determine if you have to provide parent information.

  9. What if you already applied, do you have to apply again for the following year?
    Yes, the FAFSA/TASFA should be completed every year.

  10. Which tax return is required for the 2022-2023 FAFSA?
    You will need the 2020 tax information.

  11. Will there be a FAFS workshop at UHD?
    We will be hosting FAFSA virtual information sessions throughout the month of October, every Wednesday. Every Tuesday there will be TASFA workshops. Please visit /financial/Pages/financial-aid-workshops.aspx to register for one of the sessions.

  12. How many classes must you be enrolled in to receive financial aid?
    For most financial aid you must be enrolled at least halftime. Pell grant may release at less than half-time depending your eligibility.

  13. How do we get financial aid for the summer?
    There is financial aid available for the summer. There is no application. Eligibility for the summer 2022 term will be based on your completed 2021-2022 FAFSA and you must be enrolled at least halftime for the summer to qualify.

  14. How will I know if UHD received my FAFSA?
    You will be sent an email from UHD confirming we received your application. Notifications will go out once necessary system upgrades are complete. Expected timeframe is late October.

  15. When will financial aid disburse?
    Disbursement for the term begins 7 to 10 days before the first day of class.

  16. Can students in the masters program do the FAFSA?
    Yes, students seeking their masters can file for financial aid using the FAFSA application.

  17. If you are married do you have to provide spouse’s information on the FAFSA?
    At the time of completing the FAFSA if you are married, yes you must provide your spouse’s information.

  18. How can we apply for Gator Cares?
    An email will be sent out to students when the online application is available to apply for Gator Cares.

  19. If you take classes at two universities, do you submit the FAFSA/TASFA to both universities?
    No. You can only receive financial aid at one university for the term applying for financial aid. You can do what is called a Consortium Agreement form which allows the home school (UHD) to base your financial aid awards on your combined enrollment between UHD and the other school you are attending. Please contact our office for more information.

  20. Once you have received my FAFSA, what are the next steps?
    Monitor your GatorMail for additional requests that might be needed. If additional information is needed, please submit the information as soon as possible.