New Urban Education Scholarship
The Emeritus Max Castillo Scholarship was founded in honor of former UHD President Max
Castillo. As such, the scholarship is open to undergraduate preservice teachers admitted
to the UE program:
The scholarship provides $1,100 once a year for the fall semester, and it should be used towards tuition, books, fees, and/or supplies for the upcoming academic semester.
UHD admission requirements must be met before admission to the College of Public Service. Below are the requirements for UHD:
- Minimum 2.0 GPA
- 15 hours
- Admit students throughout the year
Teacher Education Program Admission
- minimum 2.5 overall GPA (including grades from all colleges/universities attended)
- Successful completion (with a grade of "C" or higher) in all of the following within the last 12 hours before the PDs: College Algebra or higher Math, Composition I and II, Life and Physical Science component, American History Component.
- Formal application to the program and interview
Ready to Apply?
- Apply online at www.applytexas.org.
- Submit final official transcripts from all schools attended.
- Await instructions from the Admissions Office regarding acceptance, orientation and advising which are mandatory before you can enroll.
Once admitted to UHD, students are assisted by Advisors who guide the student until s/he qualifies for, and is admitted to a degree program. Declared or undeclared, a student receives course approvals from this Advising Center (AAC, One Main Street, 320-North) for a minimum of one term.
If declared and once the student earns a UHD GPA, s/he is transferred to CPS Advising (College of Public Service Advising). At this point, Advisors in the College of Public Service guide the student through their educational journey, all the way to graduation.
Our friends at the nonprofit TEACH for Houston have free tools and resources to make applying to UHD’s undergraduate teaching programs easier and more affordable! Create a free account [link] to use UHD’s free interactive application checklist on TEACHforHouston.org, and you’ll also gain access to:
- $100 fee reimbursement towards application and testing expenses.
- 1-on-1 expert advice for any question along the way.
- How-to guides for eligibility, applications, testing and finances.
- A chance to win a $1,000 scholarship toward tuition.