Master of Professional Accountancy Degree Sheet
MAster of professional accountancy
The Master of Professional Accountancy (MPAC) graduate degree program was designed to prepare individuals as leaders in the accounting profession with the educational requirement needed to sit for the Certified Public Accounting (CPA) exam in their goal to become a licensed CPA in Texas. Strong growth is expected in this sector, with over 90,000 new accounting jobs forecasted by 2028 in the United States alone, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Texas is one of the five states with the highest employment level in accountants and auditors. In addition, advanced degrees like UHD’s MPAC are known to offer a competitive advantage for analytical decision makers.
About the Program
The UHD graduate level Master of Professional Accountancy program focuses on the upper
level accounting courses required to sit for the CPA exam. Individuals interested
in advancing their analytical decision-making skills through accounting would also
be a good fit for this program.
Graduates of the MPAC degree program will be able to:
- Formulate accounting strategies and develop valuable critical thinking skills to assess business risks and make business decisions using latest analytical tools
- Develop communication skills imperative for tomorrow’s leaders
- Work productively with others to accomplish established goals
- Apply ethical principles and professional standards to make informed decisions
To apply for this program, applicants should complete these prerequisite courses prior to applying to the program:
- ACC 2301 Financial Accounting
- ACC 2302 Managerial Accounting
- ACC 3300 Intermediate Accounting I
- ACC 3301 Intermediate Accounting II
- ACC 3302 Intermediate Accounting III
- ACC 3303 Cost Accounting
- ACC 3304 Accounting Information Systems
- ACC 4301 Individual Income Taxation
- ACC 4302 Corporation Taxation
- ACC 4304 Auditing
The MPAC program is designed in a way that allows students and working professional
to either opt to finish in as quickly as 12 months or part-time with the convenient
of evening and online classes or in person.
Students can earn their graduate level master’s degree after the completion of 30 hours (10 courses) comprised of:
- 18 credit hours of core classes
- 12 hours of prescribed electives
There are many career opportunities that become available to people who choose to complete the MPAC degree. Individuals seeking a career change to the accounting field, or to improve their advancement opportunities, choose this program. The Master of Professional Accountancy degree prepares and qualifies students to become licensed certified public accountants in the states of Texas.
MBA 6310 Advanced Taxation*
MBA 6312 Advanced Auditing*
MBA 6314 Accounting Research & Writing*
MBA 6315 Advanced Accounting Topics*
MBA 6316 Professionalism for Accountants*
ACC 6311 Seminar in Financial Acc.
ACC 6313 Analysis of Financial Statements and Entity Valuation
ACC 6317 Advanced Managerial Accounting
ACC 6319 Taxation of Entities
ACC 6320 Ethics and Legal Issues and Writing* in Accounting*
ACC 6321 Governmental and Not-for-Profit Accounting
ACC 6322 Accounting Internship
ACC 6323 Applied Data Analytics for Accountants
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the national average salary for:
- Accountant and Auditor is: $77, 250
- Financial Manager is: $131,710
- Personal Financial Advisor is: $94,170
Assistant Director of Graduate Studies:
Applicants must complete and submit all of the following items:
- Apply online using the UHD online graduate application.
- Submit your $35 application fee
- Request /submit official transcripts from the institution where the applicant received a bachelor’s degree.
Or mail to:
Office of Admissions – Graduate Admissions
University of Houston-Downtown
One Main Street, Suite GSB 308
Houston, TX 77002-1001