Becoming A CPA In Texas
To become a CPA you’ll need strong communication, technology and problem-solving skills. The first step is to prepare with a well-rounded education. Besides accounting and business courses, plan on taking additional courses in finance, management, marketing, communications, economics, computer science, humanities and science.
In Texas, to become a CPA you are required to: Complete a 150-hour degree program in accounting at an accredited college or university, pass the Uniform CPA Examination and attain a level of professional work experience in accounting.
Applying for the CPA exam
- Baccalaureate or graduate degree conferred by an accredited institution of higher education recognized by the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy (the Board);
- Completion of courses recognized by the Board reflecting not fewer than 150 semester hours;
- Successful completion of at least 30 semester hours of accounting coursework beyond the first two semesters of elementary accounting, with at least 20 of these semester hours in core accounting subjects as defined by Board rule;
- Successful completion of at least 20 semester hours of related business courses as defined by Board rule.
To become a licensed CPA, an applicant must:
- Successfully complete the Uniform CPA Examination • File an application for issuance of the CPA certificate
- Provide confirmation of good moral character as demonstrated by a lack of history of dishonest of felonious acts
- Meet the education requirements (150 hours or more of college credit)
- Meet the work experience requirements (one year experience under the supervision of a CPA)
- Pass an examination on the Rules of Professional Conduct as determined by Board rule
- Take an oath of office to support the laws and Constitution of the United States and this state and rules adopted by the Board
- Pay a fee for certification
- Pay a fee for licensing
Regulation in Texas
Texas State Board of Public Accountancy (TSBPA)
333 Guadalupe, Tower III, Suite 900
Austin, TX 78701-3942
TSBPA Qualifications/Exams: 512-305-7805 or 512-305-7851 FAX: 512-305-7875
Visit TSBPA exam/qualification for more information.
Check out AICPA's student websites, This Way to CPA and Start Here. Go Places., for more information on becoming a CPA.
Information obtained from the TXCPA website at https://www.tx.cpa/resources/become-a-cpa/how-to-become-a-cpa