The Texas Public Information Act (the "Act") entitles individuals to information about the affairs of government in Texas and the official acts of public officials and employees in Texas, unless otherwise expressly provided by law. A Texas Public Information Act request is a request for public information that is maintained by a Texas governmental agency, such as the University of Houston System and any of its component institutions (e.g., the University of Houston ("UH"), the University of Houston-Downtown ("UHD"), the University of Houston-Clear Lake ("UHCL") and the University of Houston-Victoria ("UHV")).
Please also review the Privacy Act and Freedom of Information Policy for more information on the Texas Public Information Act.
What Your Request Should Include
Your request should be in writing and should include the following information:
- Your name and mailing address (so we can send you a response)
- Your phone number (so we can contact you with questions about how to respond to your request)
- A list or description of the specific information you are interested in obtaining, including time periods. Try to be as specific as possible about the information you are seeking. Please also specify which component institution (e.g., UH, UHD, UHCL, UHV) you are seeking the information from.
Where Your Request Should be Sent
Your request should be sent to the University of Houston System's Public Information Act Officer via mail, fax, email, or in person as follows:
- By email to email@example.com
- By fax to 713-743-0726 (Attention: Public Information Act Officer)
- By mail to:
125 E. Cullen Building
Attention: Public Information Act Officer
Houston, TX 77204-2021
- In person, by hand delivering your request to:
Employment Services Office
One Main Street, Suite S910
Houston, TX 77002
How You Will be Charged
You will be charged in accordance with the Act and as detailed in the following procedures:
Procedures for Charging and Collecting Fees for Providing Copies of Public Information under the Texas Public Information Act
How to Find Additional Information About the Act
For more information about the Act, you may wish to refer to the 2010 Public Information Act Handbook published by the Office of the Attorney General of Texas ("OAG") or the OAG's Texas Public Information Act poster.
How to Get a Copy of Transcripts or Other Student Information
In order to receive a copy of University transcripts or other student information, you should contact the registrar's office as opposed to submitting a Texas Public Information Act request.
UHD Registrar's Office
One Main Street, Suite N330
Houston, TX 77002