Harris County OHSEM
Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management (HCOHSEM) Job ID: 15267
Job Title: Intern
No of Openings: 1-3 per semester
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday
Hours per Week: 20+
Employment Start Date: January 16, 2023- Flexible Employment
End Date: May 19, 2023- Flexible
The Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management (HCOHSEM) offers an internship program for college students studying emergency management, communications, social science or related fields. The internship provides students with a unique opportunity to apply classroom skills and theory to real life work situations. It also helps them develop the confidence and skills needed to prepare for future employment opportunities.
HCOHSEM internships provide exposure to industry professionals and promote career
development. To support that endeavor, interns will be placed based on interests and
specific project availability:
- Public Affairs & Communications
- Homeland Security/Emergency Management
Qualifications: Basic Requirements for an Internship:
- Must have completed at least 2 years of college
- Must be studying a related field, including but not limited to: journalism, communications, political science, public administration, public policy, homeland security emergency management, etc.
- Must commit to minimum 20 hours per week, during normal working hours
- Must maintain strict confidentiality in all aspects of the job
Special Skills Needed:
- Strong written/verbal communication skills
- Research and analysis skills
- Must be able to work on multiple projects at the same time.
- Must be able to work independently and on a team.
Application Instructions: The Internship Program runs throughout the year:
- Spring (January to May); submit applications by October
- Summer (June to August); submit applications by February
- Fall (September to December); submit applications by June
Interested undergraduate or graduate students should email a letter of interest and their resume to Liz Lawhorn at email@example.com by October 21st.The letter should indicate the student’s current year in college or graduate school, an explanation of the student’s interest in an internship with HCOHSEM, the semester they would like to work and number of hours they can commit to the internship.