Skip to main content

Prior State Service

State service credit is earned when you work for a State of Texas agency or a public institution of higher education in the state of Texas.  State service affects your annual leave (vacation) accruals and eligibility for longevity pay.  If you transferred to the university from another state agency with no break in service, your vacation and sick leave accruals may be transferred.

The university does not automatically receive information about your state service history, so it's very important to be sure your state service record is complete and correct.

What State Employment Qualifies for State Service?

If you have questions about what previous employment counts toward your state service credit, refer to the State of Texas Agencies list or the list of Public Universities in Texas.

Employment at an independent school district or community college in Texas does not qualify as state service credit for annual leave and longevity purposes, even though this employment often qualifies as creditable service with Teacher Retirement System.

How to Add Prior State Service?

If you worked for a State of Texas Agency or institution of higher education in the past, please notify HR Records by email or phone 713-221-8429. Please include the name of each state agency you worked for, the approximate hire date, approximate termination date, and any previous names you may have used. Records will contact the agency on your behalf.

Contact the Previous State Agency

If you prefer, you may contact each state agency directly and ask them to transfer your service information to the University of Houston-Downtown. Send each agency a Prior State Agency Form.