Skip to main content

Veterans Eligibility

Documents may be submitted by the appropriate deadline via mail, fax or email to​:

Office of Scholarships
and Financial Aid
Attention: Ashley Andrus
One Main Street, S350
Houston, TX 77002
Office: 713-221-2717
Fax: 713-223-7483


Application Deadlines:


Veterans must meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • At the time of entry into the U.S. Armed Forces:
  • Were Texas residents
  • Designated Texas as Home of Record, or
  • Entered the service in Texas
  • Have served at least 181 days of active military duty, as indicated on the DD214 as “net active service” (the sum of 12[c] and 12 [d])
  • Have received an honorable discharge or separation or a general discharge under honorable conditions
  • Have no federal veteran’s education benefits, or have no federal Veterans education benefits dedicated to the payment of tuition and fees only (such as Chapter 31 or 33) for term or semester enrolled that do not exceed the value of Hazlewood benefits.
  • Are not in default on a student loan made or guaranteed by the State of Texas.
  • Enroll in classes for which the college receives tax support (i.e., a course that does not depend solely on student tuition and fees to cover its costs), unless the college’s governing board has ruled to let veterans receive the benefit while taking non-funded courses. 
  • Meet the GPA requirement of the institution’s satisfactory academic progress policy in a degree or certificate program as determined by the institution’s financial aid policy and, as an undergraduate student, not be considered to have attempted an excessive amount of credit hours.Satisfactory Academic Progress

Application Process for Veterans

Required documents for First-Time Applicants:

The veteran must submit:

  • Hazlewood Act Exemption Application
  • DD214 from the Department of Defense showing nature of discharge
  • Printout from the Hazlewood Database with the number of hours the veteran has used (even if the number is zero)
  • A letter from the Veteran’s Administration with proof of ineligibility for GI Bill® benefits.  You may request a benefits letter from one of the following:
  • VA Office is Muskogee, OK at (888)442-4551

Required documents for Renewal Applicants:

The veteran must submit: