Skip to main content

Legacy Eligibility

Documents may be submitted by the appropriate deadline via mail, fax or email to​:

Office of Scholarships
and Financial Aid
Attention: Ashley Andrus
One Main Street, S350
Houston, TX 77002
Office: 713-221-2717
Fax: 713-223-7483


Application Deadlines:



Eligible veterans may assign hours or transfer unused hours of exemption eligibility to a child under certain conditions. 

A child (legacy recipient) must:

  • Be classified by the institution as a Texas resident;
  • Be the biological child, stepchild, adopted child, or claimed as a dependent in the current or previous tax year;
  • Be 25 years old or younger on the first day of the semester or term for which the exemption is claimed (unless granted an extension due to a qualifying illness or debilitating condition); and
  • Have no federal Veteran’s education benefits, or have no federal Veterans education benefits dedicated to the payment of tuition and fees only (such as Chapter 33 or 31; for term or semester enrolled that do not exceed the value of Hazlewood benefits; (40 TAC §461.70) & (40 TAC §461.90)
  • Not be in default on a student loan made or guaranteed by the State of Texas;
  • Enroll in classes for which the college receives tax support (i.e., a course that does not depend solely on student tuition and fees to cover its cost), unless the college’s governing board has ruled to let Veterans receive the benefit while taking non-funded courses; and
  • Meet the GPA requirement of the institution’s satisfactory academic progress policy in a degree or certificate program as determined by the institution’s financial aid policy and, as an undergraduate student, not be considered to have attempted an excessive amount of credit hours. Satisfactory Academic Progress
*If a child to whom hours have been delegated fails to use all the assigned hours, a Veteran may re-assign the unused hours that are available to another child. Only child will use the Hazlewood Legacy benefit at a time.
Application Process for First Time applicant 
  • Hazlewood Act Exemption Application
  • Veteran’s DD214 from the Department of Defense showing the nature of the discharge
  • Proof of dependency (i.e., a copy of the student's birth certificate or copy of the veteran's most recent tax return showing the student claimed as a dependent)
  • Printout from the  Hazlewood Database with the number of hours the veteran or dependent has used (even if the number is zero)
  • A letter from the Veteran's Administration with proof of ineligibility for GI Bill benefits.  You may request a benefits letter from one of the following:
    - VA Office is Muskogee, OK at (888)442-4551
Required documents for Renewal Applicants:
The child must submit:
  • Application for Continued Enrollment
  • Printout of the Hazlewood Database with the number of hours the veteran and or dependent has used (even if the number is zero)