Skip to main content

Dependents Eligibility

Documents may be submitted by the appropriate deadline via mail, fax or email to​:

Office of Scholarships
and Financial Aid
Attention: Ashley Andrus
One Main Street, S350
Houston, TX 77002
Office: 713-221-2717
Fax: 713-223-7483


Application Deadlines:


Spouses and dependent children of eligible Active Duty, Reserve, and Texas National Guard who died in the line of duty or as a result of injury or illness directly related to military service, are missing in action, or who became totally disabled for purposes of employability as a result of a service-related injury or illness are entitled to each receive a 150 credit hours exemption.


Application Process for Dependents

Required documents for First-Time Applicants:

Dependent children and spouses using the Exemption due to the death or disability of the veteran must submit:

  • Hazlewood Act Exemption Application
  • Veteran's DD214 from the Department of Defense showing the nature of discharge
  • Proof from the Department of Defense or from the Veterans Administration regarding veteran's death or 100% disability related to service
  • Copy of birth certificate or marriage license to verify dependency
  • Printout from the Hazlewood Database with the number of hours the veteran or dependent has used (even if the number is zero)


  • Be a spouse / child of a Veteran who, at the time of entry into the U.S. Armed Forces, (DD Form 214 required) , (40 TAC §461.50) & (40 TAC §461.60)
    • designated Texas as Home of Record,
    • or entered the service in Texas;
    • or was a Texas resident;
  • Be a spouse / child of a Veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces or the Texas National Guard who
    • died as a result of service-related injuries or;
    • became totally and permanently disabled or meets the eligibility requirements for individual unemployability according to the disability ratings of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) as a result of a service-related injury, or
    • Missing in action (MIA), or
    • Killed in action (KIA).
  • Have no federal Veterans education benefits, or have no federal Veterans education benefits dedicated to the payment of tuition and fees only (such as Chapter 33 or 31) for term or semester enrolled that do not exceed the value of Hazlewood benefits;
  • Be classified by the institution as a Texas resident;
  • Not be in default on a student loan made or guaranteed by the State of Texas;
  • Enroll in classes for which the college receives tax support (i.e., a course that does not depend solely on student tuition and fees to cover its cost), unless the college’s governing board has ruled to let Veterans receive the benefit while taking non-funded courses; and
  • Meet the GPA requirement of the institution’s satisfactory academic progress policy in a degree or certificate program as determined by the institution’s financial aid policy and, as an undergraduate student, not be considered to have attempted an excessive amount of credit hours. This requirement does not apply to the spouse / child of a MIA, KIA, or service-connected deceased Veteran. (40 TAC §461.50) & (40 TAC §461.60) Satisfactory Academic Progress

Required documents for Renewal Applicants:

The dependent child or spouse must submit: