Degree Plan - Bachelors in Science in Control and Instrumentation Engineering Technology
The Control and Instrumentation Engineering Technology (CIET) degree program at UHD is a unique four-year program in the Department of Computer Science & Engineering Technology. Our mission is to provide high-impact educational experiences that engage students in and out of the classroom.
The focus of the CIET degree program is the application of computer technology and modern electronics to industrial process control and instrumentation systems. The degree program produces graduates who have a sound foundation in such areas:
- implementation of instrumentation
- control systems
In addition, our students meet the demands and requirements of the broad job market of the control and instrumentation industry by gaining practical training in computer technology, electrical/electronic systems, and communication systems.
The CIET degree program will prepare students for lucrative careers through smaller classes, faculty mentoring, modern labs, hands-on experience, flexible class options, and transitional engineering programs.
CIET PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
The BSET Control and Instrumentation Engineering Technology program will produce graduates who:
- Have sound knowledge and skill to develop and expand professional careers in fields related to measurement and instrumentation technologies, process modeling and simulation, control systems, and industrial automation;
- Are well-rounded individuals with strong interpersonal skills, competent in communication and presentation, able to work in team environments, and possess a strong sense of professionalism;
- Have an aptitude for engineering applications and are immediately productive in the workplace upon graduation;
- Are committed to professional development and lifelong learning.
CIET PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
Graduates of the CIET program will have:
an ability to apply knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology to solve broadly-defined engineering problems appropriate to the discipline;
an ability to design systems, components, or processes meeting specified needs for broadly-defined engineering problems appropriate to the discipline;
an ability to apply written, oral, and graphical communication in broadly-defined technical and nontechnical environments; and an ability to identify and use appropriate technical literature;
an ability to conduct standard tests, measurements, and experiments and to analyze and interpret the results to improve processes; and
- an ability to function effectively as a member as well as a leader on technical teams.
DEGREE PLAN INFORMATION
The following four-year degree plan is based on the UHD 2018-2019 academic catalog. Students should meet with a UHD Academic Advisor to develop their own plan.
- Catalog Degree Description
- Four Year Degree Plan
- Transfer Information
- Minor Requirements
- Program Highlights
ADMISSIONS AND DECLARATION OF MAJOR
Control and instrumentation specialists are among the most sought-after personnel in the Houston area due to the growing demand from process industries (petrochemical and oil refining), power companies, and energy industries. The CIET curriculum is designed to prepare students for careers in a wide range of industries:
- Computer manufacturing
- Information technology
- Telecommunication industry
- Other industry and business sectors
- Oil refining and gas-processing
- Petrochemical industry
- Paper and Steel manufacturing
- Food processing and water management
- Power plants and offshore exploration
- Engineering Technology 20 hours minimum
We aim to foster your academic, personal, and professional goals. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the program coordinator.
ENROLLMENT AND GRADUATION
|Academic Year||2017 - 2018||2018 - 2019||2019 - 2020||2020 -2021||2021-2022||2022-2023|
Numbers indicate the number of students reported to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. Data is obtained from Fact Sheets and Fact Books at UHD Institutional Research.
The B.S.E.T. in Control and Instrumentation Engineering Technology and the B.S.E.T. in Structural Analysis and Design Option in Engineering Technology are accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET. http://www.abet.org/
One or more documents on this site are in PDF format. In order to view and print these document(s), you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader software. It can be downloaded from the Adobe website.