Skip to main content

Veteran Services FAQs

Q: What is Tutorial Assistance?
A: VA will pay up to $100 per month for your tutorial assistance. The tutorial assistance you get will be in addition to your regular monthly education benefits for going to school. The limit for tutorial assistance is $1,200 (12 times the maximum monthly rate of $100). After you have received tutoring, you must submit to the VA the Application for Individualized Tutorial Assistance VA Form 22-1990t.

Q: What document is required for using VA educational benefits at UHD?
A: A copy of your most recent Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or a screen shot of your Ebenefits summary is required for enrollment certification purpose.

Q: How often I have to submit my request for enrollment certification?
A: You have to submit a Request for enrollment certification every semester you want to use your benefit.

Q: What do I do if I add or drop classes?
A: You are required to submit a Schedule Change Form when you add, drop, or withdraw from your classes.

Q: Is there a scholarship available for veterans?
A: We offer the Hamill Scholarship for current UHD undergraduate students who have earned a total of 30 cumulative college credit hours with a minimum of 12 hours earned at UHD with a 2.5 GPA.

Q: Can I repeat a courses?
A: Yes, you can repeat courses which you have failed or the grades are below the minimum requirements for your degree plan. If you are in the last semester and you want to be full-time, you can repeat any course.

Q: Can I apply for Hazelwood Act while using my GI-Bill®?
A: You have to exhaust your VA benefits (other than Chapter 33) to be qualified for Hazelwood Act. If you are entitled to Chapter 33, your entitlement must be less than 100% to be qualified for it.

Q: Do VA benefits cover my parking?
A: No, VA benefits (except for Chapter 31) do not cover parking. Chapter 31 might covers parking depending your situation and approval from Vocational Rehabilitation counselor.

Q: Is there a dead line for submitting a request for enrollment certification?
A: A request for VA enrollment certification must be submitted every semester/session no later than three weeks prior to the start of the semester/session. Failure to do so may result in delays in payments and/or drops from class.

Q: How does the payment process work for tuition and fees?
A: Chapter 31 and chapter 33 at 100%: A hold will be placed in your account after your enrollment has been certified. This hold is to ensure that your classes will not be dropped after the payment deadlines. Students entitled to chapter 33 is responsible for fees not covered by the GI-Bill®, such as, parking fee and excess course attempt fee. Chapter 33 less than 100%, 30, 35, 1606, 607: Students must arrange payment with the Cashier Office in advance or classes will be dropped after the deadlines.