PS-04.A.02 - Student Use of Alcoholic Beverages at University of Houston - Downtown
EFFECTIVE DATE: November 03, 1999
ISSUE #: 5
PRESIDENT: Max Castillo
This PS sets forth regulations regarding the service, consumption, and distribution of alcoholic beverages to students at the University of Houston - Downtown (UHD). The University strictly adheres to all city, state, and federal laws governing the distribution and consumption of alcohol. The University is committed to the national initiative of preventing the abuse of alcohol.
2.1 The legal drinking age in Texas is 21. Alcoholic beverages served on the UHD campus may be distributed and consumed by students of legal age only in areas designated by the Dean of Student Affairs. The use or possession of alcohol on any part of the university campus, other than a formally approved or designated area, is a violation of the Student Rights and Responsibilities Policy Statement 04.A.01.
2.2 The Dean of Student Affairs must be notified of the proposed sale and/or distribution of alcoholic beverages to students by any individual or organization at UHD and has the authority to approve or deny these activities.
2.3 Only licensed catering services approved by the Dean of Student Affairs may sell or distribute alcoholic beverages on the UHD campus.
2.4 Only registered student organizations will be allowed to conduct an event at which alcoholic beverages will be sold or distributed to students by the catering service or vendor.
2.5 The president or designated officer and the advisor of a registered student organization must read the Alcoholic Beverage Distribution Information form (Exhibit A) and must complete the request for Alcoholic Beverage Distribution Permit.
2.6 For a student organization, the completed Alcoholic Beverage Distribution Permit must be submitted to the Director of Student Activities at least four weeks before the date on which permission to serve alcohol is requested. The Director of Student Activities forwards a recommendation to the Dean of Student Affairs within five working days of submission.
2.7 The Dean of Student Affairs notifies the UHD Police Department when permission
is granted to student organizations to hold an event at which alcoholic beverages
will be distributed on the campus. The student organization receiving permission must
make arrangements for police coverage directly with the UHD Police Department, not
less than three (3) weeks prior to the event. The UHD Police Department will determine
the number of police officers required for the event. Only UHD police officers or
peace officers approved by the Chief of the UHD Police may be hired for the event.
The sponsoring organization or department is responsible for payment of UHD police
2.8 State appropriated funds, student service fees, or University Center fees may not be used to purchase alcoholic beverages for any reason. Registered UHD student organizations may purchase alcoholic beverages for official student organization functions using funds which have been deposited into the student organization's agency fund account.
2.9 Alcoholic beverages may not be served or consumed in any vehicle owned or operated by UHD.
REVIEW AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsible Party (Reviewer): Dean of Student Affairs
Review: As needed
Issue #1: 05/11/83
Issue #2: 07/10/84
Issue #3: 03/01/86
Issue #4: 11/05/90
ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE DISTRIBUTION INFORMATION
A permit to distribute alcoholic beverages on the campus of the University of Houston-Downtown is a privilege granted to registered UHD student organizations and departments. Failing to adhere to university regulations may result in the denial of future permits.
I) A permit DOES NOT
a) Give the sponsoring organization the right to sell alcoholic beverages. Selling includes, but is not limited to the following:
1) The price of alcoholic beverages being included in the admission price.
2) Including the price of alcoholic beverages in the food ticket.
b) Give the right to the space for an event. Space and facilities must be reserved through normal university channels.
II) Once a permit is granted the organization is responsible for obeying all university, state, city, and federal laws governing the distribution and consumption of alcoholic beverages.
III) The legal age for drinking in Texas is 21.
Giving alcoholic beverages to a minor can result in a fine of $100 to $500 plus university disciplinary action.
A minor producing false identification to secure alcoholic beverages can be fined $25 to $500 and is subject to university disciplinary action.
IV) At all events where alcohol is served, a posted sign must state clearly that only those 21 years of age or older are permitted to drink the alcoholic beverages.
V) Persons of legal drinking age must be clearly identifiable to the licensed caterer/vendor.
VI) Non-alcoholic beverages must be available in equally attractive variety as the alcoholic beverages and must also be displayed with equal prominence. If alcoholic beverages are free, all other beverages must be free.
VII) The amount of alcoholic beverages permitted at an event is relative to the number of guests attending the function.
VIII) Food items must be available in sufficient amounts for the number of persons attending the function
IX) All advertisements must note the availability of non-alcoholic beverages and food as prominently as alcohol, if alcohol is to be advertised. Alcohol may never be the main emphasis of an advertisement.
X) Any questions regarding the distribution of alcoholic beverages should be addressed to the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs at (713) 221-8100.
1) Requests for permission to serve alcoholic beverages must be submitted to the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs four weeks prior to the time of planned distribution. This will allow time for review, clarification of concerns and sufficient time for the events planners to take copies to the appropriate offices.
2) Only registered UHD student organizations and departments are eligible for permission to distribute alcoholic beverages.
3) The organization must provide monitors who will be responsible for verifying and identifying those persons who may legally consume alcoholic beverages, and for halting the distribution of alcoholic beverages to those individuals drinking to excess or who appear intoxicated. The legal age for drinking in Texas is 21.
4) The organization may not promote or allow drinking games of any kind.
5) Alcoholic beverages may not be distributed before 3:00 p.m. on Monday-Friday and 12 noon on Saturday and Sunday. For major campus events, exceptions to the 3:00 p.m. start time may be granted.
6) In addition to the required steps, individuals planning an event should seek other ways to foster the responsible use of alcoholic beverages.
7) The organizers of an event must be prepared to call a cab for anyone that appears to be under the influence of alcohol or any other intoxicating substance. A written list of phone numbers for several cab companies should be available.
8) Students may be held responsible for their guest's compliance with university regulations.
9) The organization must submit a copy of all permits to the university police department immediately upon approval by the dean.