Skip to main content

PS-03.A.10 - Acceptance of Transfer Credit

PDF version

EFFECTIVE DATE: June 08, 2016

ISSUE #: 5

PRESIDENT:  Michael A. Olivas (Interim)


1.1 This PS establishes uniform university policies and procedures for the analysis and evaluation of college credits earned at other institutions of higher education to be transferred to the University of Houston-Downtown (UHD).

1.2 This PS further specifies guidelines and procedures to be followed by students wishing to transfer credit to UHD.

1.3 This PS also addresses credit that may be earned for service in the armed forces of the United States.


2.1 Regional Accrediting Associations: The six regional associations that accredit public and private colleges and universities in the United States which include: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSACS), New England Association of Schools & Colleges, Inc. (NEASC), North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA), Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU), Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WACS). 

2.2 Workforce Education Course Manual (WECM): A web-based inventory of current workforce education courses available for use by Texas public two-year colleges and authorized by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB). 

2.3 Lower-Division Academic Course Guide Manual (ACGM): The official list of courses approved for general academic transfer that may be offered by public community and technical colleges in Texas. 


3.1 Transfer Credit from Institutions of Higher Education 

3.2.1 The college or university from which academic credit is to be transferred must be accredited by a recognized regional accrediting association. WECM courses, both vocational and technical, may be accepted by some programs, depending on the specific programs, depending on the specific program, provided these courses are from an accredited institution that is recognized by THECB. 

3.2.2 Students wishing to transfer credit to UHD must provide the admissions office with an official transcript from each college or university attended, including any other university in the UH System. 

3.2.3 Official transcripts of all work attempted at other colleges and universities must be submitted to UHD prior to admission regardless of whether credit was earned. If transcripts are not presented a hold is placed on the student record until the official day of record. Students may not omit any part of a college record. 

3.2.4 Transcripts are considered official only when they bear the signature of the registrar and the seal of the issuing school and are sent directly from the registrar’s office of each school attended. Official transcripts become the property of UHD and cannot be returned after the student enrolls. 

3.2.5 At least 30 semester credit hours of course work toward the degree must be taken at UHD and 18 hours must be in the upper division and approved by the student’s major department (See PS 03.A.06). UHD department-approved study abroad credit, although processed as transfer credit, will count toward University residency requirements. 

3.2.6 A student enrolled in any degree program at UHD who wishes to take courses at another college or university, including any other university in the UH System, and apply the credits earned toward his degree, must have prior approval of the appropriate officer of the student’s degree program. Courses taken without such approval may not be counted toward the fulfillment of degree requirements. A student taking courses under these provisions is responsible for having his official transcript from the second institution, including any other university in the UH System forwarded to the registrar’s office a UHD and for requesting that an official evaluation of this transcript be made and reported to the appropriate officer of the student’s degree program. 

3.2.7 For a course taken more than once, the highest grade will be transferred. Course that have an F or W will not be accepted for transfer. Grades from the transfer institution, including any other university of the UH System, do not count toward the student’s UHD GPA. Developmental courses do not transfer for credit but may allow the student to move forward. 

3.2.8 Transfer courses determined to be substantially equivalent to a UHD course will be transferred as the UHD course equivalent. The determination of which courses are substantially equivalent will be made in consultation with the relevant department. Having the same title and textbook is not sufficient to determine if a course is substantially equivalent. Transfer courses not substantially equivalent will be articulated under the UHD subject equivalent and at the level at which they were taught at the original institution. WECM courses will not transfer as academic courses although they may be accepted for credit hours towards a degree by some programs. 

3.2.9 The number of hours credited for a transferred course will be calculated as UHD equivalent hours. In the case that the number of transferred hours for a course is less than the number of hours required by UHD, the missing hours must be fulfilled under the electives area of the degree plan. 

3.2.10 Courses taken at other colleges or universities that do not correspond to courses listed in the UHD catalog or to courses offered by the university may transfer as credit to fulfill degree or elective requirements with appropriate approval by academic dean or designated representative. 

3.2.11 International credit must be evaluated by a standard evaluation service and reviewed by the appropriate officer of the student’s degree program. 

3.2.12 The department or program chair of the student’s major, with the advice and consent of the appropriate academic dean, will decide on the application of transfer credit to the degree program. 

3.2 Credit for Military Service 

3.2.1 Awarding Course credit for military service will follow Texas Education Code, Sec.51.3042 UHD will award up to 12 hours of credit to satisfy any elective outside the student’s major or minor course requirements for the student’s degree program if the student: 

(a) Graduated from public or private high school accredited by generally recognized accrediting organization or from high school operated by the United States Department of Defense; and 

(b) Is an honorably discharged former member of the armed forces of the United States who: 

(i) Completed at least two years of service in the armed forces; or 

(ii) Was discharged because of a disability. UHD may award additional course credit for a student’s military service and training as the institution and dean or dean’s designee considers appropriate in fulfilling degree requirements.


Procedures for this policy are imbedded in the Policy section


PS.03.A.06: Graduation and Commencement Policy


Responsible Party (Reviewer): Vice President for Academic Affairs

Review: As needed

Signed original on file in Human Resources. 


Issue #3: 05/29/1987

Issue #4: 07/22/2014

Issue #5: 06/08/2016


Texas Education Code, Section 51.3042

PS 03.A.06: Graduation and Commencement Policy