Social Media Accessibility
Posting College and UHD Announcements and Events on Social Media
For CHSS faculty and staff, If you have an event you wish to promote, please share all the event details with the CHSS Web & Technical Support Specialist. The CHSS Web Tech can post your event to:
- CHSS social media
- The campus slide show
- CHSS, Arts and Communication and English department slide shows (TVs)
- UHD calendar / CHSS calendar / CHSS Departmental calendar and all CHSS Center calendars
The most accessible type of document is a web page. To maximize the accessibility of your social media post for your event, share a link to your event from the UHD calendar website. The CHSS Web Tech can post your event on the UHD calendar. This is an accessible link to share on your social media posts. This calendar page will include:
- all the details of your event
- an interactive campus map
- links to any registration for your event
- parking information
General Guidelines for Posting on Social Media
- To comply with Texas state policies for accessibility, do not post only a graphic / flier of your event to social media. Please include typed-out text and / or a link with more information on a web site.
- Include ALT text information on all your photos on your social media posts.
- For hashtags, use CamelCase. Example: #GoGators Not: #gogators, or #Gogators, or #goGators
- Accessible Social Media (Great Lakes AAA Center - Video, PPT slides)
- Accessible Content Shared Through Social Media (presentation - Great Lakes AAA Center)
Adding ALT Text in Social Media
To add or edit the ALT tag information on Facebook:
- Go to your post
- Select the top right corner of the image
- Select the "edit ALT text"
- You may see automatically generated alt text, you can remove this and type your own text
- Select "Save"
How to add ALT text to an image on Twitter: Character limit: 1,000
- Add a picture to a new Tweet
- Below your uploaded image, click ‘Add description’
- Enter your ALT text
- Click ‘Save’
Add ALT Text to Instagram image post
- Create a new post
- Find the photo you want to add Alt Text to
and click on the three dots in the top right corner.
- Click on Edit.
- Click on Edit Alt Text.
- Add your text and click on the blue tick located
in the top right corner
How to add ALT text to an image on LinkedIn:
Character limit: 300
- Create a new post and add an image
- Along the bottom of the uploaded image, click ‘Alt. text’
- Enter the ALT text for your image
- Click ‘Save’ and then click ‘Done’
More Social Media Accessibility Resources