IPERS Grant Opportunity
Student Research and Community Engagement Grants ($500 each)
Deadline: February 20, 2023
- Want to learn more about plain language?
- Interested in helping a local nonprofit?
- Need community engagement experience to enhance your resume?
Call for Applications
The Institute for Plain English Research and Study (IPERS) at UHD invites undergraduate
and graduate students to apply for research and community engagement grants. All applicants must be registered UHD students and take UHD classes in the spring
of 2023. If awarded, you will:
- work with the institute’s co-directors and help a local nonprofit improve its communication (Spring 2023)
- design a poster to present the highlights of your work at one of the internal or
external student conferences
- receive a $500 grant (May 2023)
Possible projects will include, but will not be limited to, creating and delivering
workshops, designing or revising promotional materials, updating web content, creating
video materials, and/or reviewing current research on plain language.
What Will Be Required of You
To successfully complete the project, you will be asked to:
- participate in an orientation meeting via Zoom
- communicate with the client and identifying the client’s needs
- meet with a faculty member twice a month to discuss your progress and share drafts
- produce and revise drafts of your poster presentation
- take a survey reflecting on your experience
How to Apply
Submit the following materials electronically as a Word file to
firstname.lastname@example.org by February 20, 2023.