Girls Empowerment Network
Girls Empowerment Network
4660 Beechnut St. Suite #102 Houston, Tx 77096
The mission of the Girls Empowerment Network (GEN) is to ignite the power in girls by teaching them the skills to thrive and believe in their ability to be unstoppable. GEN helps girls in grades 3-12 discover that they are powerful by teaching self-efficacy, which is a girl’s belief in her own abilities. Through our self-efficacy curriculum, GEN equips girls with the skills they need to navigate girlhood; helps girls foster healthy, supportive bonds with one another; and surrounds girls with relatable role models who provide support, inspiration, and guidance.
Description of Internship
Purpose: The Direct Service Intern will assist staff with the various aspects of the management and service delivery of the Girls Empowerment Network’s programming in schools in the Greater Houston area. The intern can expect to gain introductory experiences in youth development, group facilitation, volunteer relations, and database entry.
- Administrative duties—assist with database maintenance, implementing attendance and girl demographic information
- Youth Development—working with girls ranging in grades 3rd – 12th to facilitate a curriculum that promotes self-efficacy in girls
- Group Facilitation – implementing our curriculum in schools with groups of girls of up to 25 as either the main facilitator or co-facilitator
- Volunteer relations— assisting with volunteer trainings, as well as maintaining relationships with weekly volunteers involved in their facilitated Girl Connect groups
- Communications – assisting with various aspects of externa communications, creating blog content, and interviewing girls involved in Girls Empowerment Network programming for a monthly feature.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned; all interns are welcome to cross train to spend a portion of their weekly time in our development department to gain experience in fundraising
Criteria for Interns
- Applicants must be professional, creative, team-oriented self-starters who have an eye for detail and a positive
- Applicants must have obtained or are actively pursuing a degree in social work, counseling, child and family studies, nonprofit management, or similar
- Must be committed to the goals/mission of Girls Empowerment Network and social
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication
- Must have reliable transportation
- Previous youth development or nonprofit experience is a plus, but not required.
- We will do background checks for all interns
- Flexible, depending upon number of hours desired for credit. Minimum 10 hours/week maximum 32 hours/week. A few evening and weekend hours may be required.
Eveling Crisostomo, Houston Program Coordinator
Direct: 832-705-9290 | Office: 713-773-4858