SI Training and Staffing
1) What are the minimum requirements to become an SI leader?
SI leaders are students that possess a minimum GPA of 3.0 and are required to maintain at least a 3.0 for the duration of their employment. Additionally, they have made at least a B in the course they are assigned to. Lastly, the student must submit a recommendation letter by a UHD faculty member for the assigned course in order to be hired for the position.
2) What is the hiring process for SI Leaders?
Potential SI Leaders must complete a 3-part hiring process, which consists of:
- A completed application through the UHD Human Resources Careers website, which must
be submitted with a cover letter and resume.
- A 30-minute mock SI session in front of a group of experienced SI leaders
- A group interview and one-on-one interview with the SI Assistant Director
3) How are SI leaders trained?
SI leaders are required to attend two full-days of training before the start of each semester. Some topics include:
- The role of the SI leader in the classroom
- Structure of the SI program
- How to plan and conduct a session
- Collaborative session strategies
- Effective study skills
- Team-building activities
- Mock sessions and first-day speech practice
- The relationship between the SI and faculty
- UHD Employee policies and procedures
- Title IV
- Time management
- Customer service
- Public speaking and presentation skills
- Workplace etiquette
4) How can I recommend a student as a SI leader?
To recommend an SI leader, UHD faculty can send a recommendation letter or a recommendation form via email to the SI Assistant Director at the end of the semester. The form can be emailed to email@example.com.