Video Network & AV Specialist II
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 4248
Title: Video Network & AV Specialist II
Department: Comp, Telecom & Video Netwrk
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: Computing / Telecom
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 14
Grade Min: $52,981
Grade Mid: $63,578
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Video Network and AV Specialist II provides, configures, installs, programs, and documents audio/visual systems, including creating design drawings as required. The Specialist works closely with the Assistant Director of the group, and addresses all complex issues in the audio visual spaces at the university.
- Configures, installs, programs, documents, and maintains audio, video, and control devices in classrooms, conference rooms, and presentation spaces
- Programs code and graphics to control installed AV Equipment
- Provides second level support for AV related calls from any classroom, conference room, or special event rooms
- Creates CAD drawings showing how AV equipment is wired and controlled
- Documents IP related information assigned to AV equipment
- Train other staff members as required
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Supervises student workers
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Supervises the work of student employees.
- Associate's degree or equivalent required
- Minimum of three (3) year of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
- Controller programming certification(s) required – AMX preferred
- Audio/Visual certifications in general an asset
- Bachelor's degree preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of audio visual design, installation techniques, and programming; knowledge of networking
- Good technical skills.
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good critical thinking skills
- Ability to interpret and use information to make good decisions
- Ability to create audio, video, and control system design drawings and elevations
- Ability to terminate audio, visual, and control connectors
- Ability to use testing tools
- Ability to solder connectors to cables
- Ability to operate scissor lifts and power tools
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Work is normally performed in university offices, classrooms, and labs, but also requires some split office and video network lab environment work that can subject employees to abnormal temperatures and noise.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
- May have occasional exposure to extreme temperatures
- May, on rare occasions, be required to work in a confined space, in a high dangerous place, or near moving mechanical parts
- May, on rare occasions, be exposed to mechanical oils
- Must have good spatial awareness, precise hand-eye coordination, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- May be required to move items of up to 100lbs
- May be asked to respond to problems or provide service after hours.
- May be expected to carry and respond to cell phone at all times
- Occasionally drives or operates university vehicles
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills with multiple hardware and software systems.
- Effectively applies expertise to identify and troubleshoot user issues.
- Competent to install and configure new systems.
- Willing to share expertise and provide technical support to others.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.