Basic Position Information
Job Code: 4387
Title: Telecommunications Specialist
Department: Computing, Telecom & Video Net
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: Computing / Telecom
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 13
Grade Min: $47,731
Grade Mid: $57,277
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: N/A
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Telecommunications Specialist maintains and supports the University's physical network and telecom infrastructure, including, but not limited to, voice, data, audio, and video services.
- Installs and repairs the physical layer of UHD's network of copper and fiber cabling, routers, and switches; runs and relocates network cables to their desired location as requested
- Troubleshoots cables when they are not working
- Ensures that inventory of all required materials is available
- Coordinates and supports other IT groups and departments regarding networking and telecom tasks and projects
- Provides training and support to students, staff, and other IT groups regarding the network and telecom infrastructure as required
- Researches and evaluates various applications of information and communications technology (ICT) cabling installation; makes suitable recommendations based on applicable codes, standards, and best practices
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Part-time employee
Delegation of Work:
- Occasionally assigns work to subordinate(s)
- May train and counsel subordinate(s). May provide feedback to a supervisor regarding other employees' performance, but does not make hiring and dismissal recommendations.
- 30 hours of college course work or technical training in related field
- Minimum of one (1) years of job-related experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
- BICSI certification is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of IT copper and fiber cabling infrastructure
- Basic knowledge of networking and related components
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to install, test, and troubleshoot a variety of cable types, including copper, fiber, and coaxial type cables
- Ability to troubleshoot all networking issues
- Ability to install network racks and equipment
- Ability to identify damage to copper or fiber cabling, using the appropriate tools
- Ability to create a job plan and scope of work
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment, technology server room, classroom, training room, auditorium, outdoor areas, library environment, gymnasium, or other physical training rooms.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
- Work involves occasional exposure to elements, such as inclement weather, extreme temperatures, oil, and dust.
- May, on rare occasions, be exposed to the risk of electric shock, vibration, or potentially hazardous bodily fluids
- May, on rare occasions, be required to work in a confined space or in a high dangerous place.
- May, on rare occasions, work on hazardous traffic conditions
- May, on rare occasions, be required to wear a respirator
- May be required to move items of up to 100lbs
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Communicates clearly, concisely, and with courtesy.
- Carefully listens to customer or thoroughly reads correspondence, and uses good judgment to respond appropriately. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Communicates requests for further action or resources to appropriate individuals with tact.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills with multiple hardware and software systems.
- Effectively applies expertise to identify and troubleshoot user issues.
- Competent to install and configure new systems.
- Willing to share expertise and provide technical support to others.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.