Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2776
Title: Technology Librarian
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Library
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 14
Grade Min: $52,981
Grade Mid: $63,578
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Technology Librarian works with library administrators and IT to plan, implement, and maintain hardware and software solutions in the library.
- Represents the library on campus committees related to the planning and implementation of technologies.
- Assists with access issues, such as students not being able to use a particular database
- Coordinates purchasing and inventory work related to hardware and software technologies in the library.
- Assists with developing the library collection, through the selection and marketing of library resources; collects and regulates specific subjects within the library's collection, through purchasing new materials, working with faculty, and evaluating possible databases
- Assists students, faculty, and patrons with research, coursework, and general reference questions
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Master's degree in Library and Information Science or a related field from a University accredited by the American Library Association.
- Minimum of one (1) year of related job experience
- None required
- Experience in managing library and/or office technologies.
- Experience in project planning and implementation.
- Experience in library reference and/or instruction work.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Basic knowledge of computer software
- Knowledge of library technologies and practices.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to use and troubleshoot computers and other related hardware such as printers, scanners, and projectors;
- Ability to operate within a budget; ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community
- Ability to plan and implement projects.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 25lbs
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills in one or more functional areas.
- Effectively applies expertise to identify user issues with existing systems and coordinate resolution with technical staff.
- Understands business processes to successfully integrate them with existing and new systems.
- Competent to coordinate requests for system modifications with technical staff.
- Willing to share expertise and provide functional assistance to others.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.