Support and Training Specialist I
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 4320
Title: Support and Training Specialist I
Department: Technology Learning Services
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: Instructional Technology
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 12
Grade Min: $43,001
Grade Mid: $51,601
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Support and Training Specialist I administers the Blackboard LMS and provides support and training for faculty, staff, and students using Blackboard and other online learning technologies provided by the University.
- Provides support and guidance for faculty, students, and staff using Blackboard, Zoom, online publishing software, Respondus LDB, and other technical tools by answering questions, troubleshooting issues, and carrying out requests
- Provides training and maintains training documentation for supported software
- Updates social media channels and assists with the newsletter
- Tests and provides feedback on new technologies or updates to supported software
- Acquires and maintains up-to-date knowledge of all supported technologies as they change or are replaced; maintains an awareness of possible alternatives
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Associate Degree in IT or a related field
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience in training, customer service, and support.
- None required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the Blackboard administrative control panel
- Strong technical skills, including proficiency in MS Excel and HTML;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills; strong training skills
- Ability to troubleshoot systems and develop solutions; ability to prioritize and organize;
- Ability to edit webpages;
- Ability to learn new technologies easily
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in some or all of the following environments during the working day; an office, lobby customer service island, reception area, classroom, training room, or an auditorium
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
- Precise hand-eye coordination is required
- Ability to identify and distinguish colors is required. Must be able to move up to 20lbs
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates the ability to orally convey subject or message clearly and concisely to the intended audience.
- Generates interest and enthusiasm in the subject or message from the participants.
- Responds to participants' reactions or comments, and adjusts delivery style and/or format of presentation as needed.
- Possesses a thorough understanding of the subject or topic to provide practical responses to questions or issues.
- Displays applicable visuals and provides appropriate written materials to support the presentation.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills in a technical area.
- Effectively applies expertise to troubleshoot existing systems and develop solutions with existing technology.
- Competent to learn new technologies and integrate them with existing technology.
- Willing to share expertise and provide technical assistance to others.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.