Basic Position Information
Job Code: 6014
Title: Supervisor, Porter
Department: Facilities Management
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Facilities Management
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 10
Grade Min: $36,294
Grade Mid: $42,645
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Supervisor of Porter supervises contracted and in-house day porter staff, and maintains responsibility for performing daily inspections, addressing deficiencies in assigned cleaning areas, entering work requests into system, and following up and assisting day porters with daily tasks as needed.
- Inspects restrooms, hallways, sitting areas, offices, meetings rooms, parking garages/lots, classrooms, and staircases
- Assigns work and special tasks to day porters and updates them on events and areas of deficiency
- Dispatches, delegates, and communicates service calls made to Facilities Management to the day porters, ensuring that all problems and concerns are addressed
- Submits work requests
- Follows up on events as appropriate
- Ensures that trash is discarded, carpets are cleaned, and restrooms are stocked; initiates any other tasks that may be required
- Initiates personal development, communication, and health and safety initiatives; implements rules and polices
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Full Time Employees and Contracted Workers
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Trains and counsels subordinate(s). Provides feedback to a supervisor regarding other employees' performance, but does not make hiring and dismissal recommendations.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of one (1) year of supervisory, management, or lead porter experience
- None required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the general custodial tasks that are required on a university campus, and the related trends, issues, and accepted practices
- Good supervisory skills; strong customer service skills; organization skills
- Ability to speak English and Spanish;
- Ability to work well in a team; ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Routinely works in an inside and outside environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
- Work involves some exposure to elements, such as adverse weather conditions, extreme temperatures, oils, dirt, dust, fumes, and airborne particles
- May have some exposure to noise and vibration. Position requires occasional bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling, jumping, climbing, and reaching
- Must have the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Must be able to climb and maintain balance on a ladder. Must have the ability to move items of up to 100lbs
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates the essential skills required to use equipment and tools needed to perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Follows maintenance and operation procedures and safety rules to minimize equipment malfunctions and prevent personal injuries.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.