Supervisor, HVAC & Plumbing
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 6101
Title: Supervisor, HVAC & Plumbing
Department: Facilities Management
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Facilities Management
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 15
Grade Min: $58,809
Grade Mid: $70,571
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Supervisor, HVAC & Plumbing supervises staff in operations and maintenance, special projects, and campus wide renovations. The Supervisor manages external contractors and internal staff during renovations, equipment replacement, and repair projects campus wide.
- Liaises as necessary with operations personnel to coordinate repairs and perform preventative maintenance on equipment, ensuring the continuous operations of the central systems
- Develops maintenance procedures for new equipment; modifies existing procedures as necessary to ensure optimum operations of system equipment
- Coordinates work schedules of maintenance staff to ensure the continuous and reliable operations of the central system
- Orders supplies and materials as necessary to ensure continuous operation
- Prepares work orders and reports deferred maintenance
- Coordinates minor renovations work with in-house staff
- Dispenses personnel as required to maintain temperature regulations within the buildings (hot and cold trouble calls)
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Full Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- High school diploma or GED. Graduate certification from a recognized community college full time air conditioning program
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- Possession of EPA approved refrigeration certification
- TDLR "B" license
- Must have a valid river's License
- Associate Degree is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of building automation software and hardware, and of the related trends, issues, and accepted practices
- Good computer skills; strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work in situations that involve interpersonal relationships with staff, faculty, students, contractors, and the general public; ability to adapt quickly and be flexible;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment (2-4 hours), outdoor areas (2-4 hours), and a machine or carpentry shop (2-4 hours)
- Work is normally performed in an interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements. Work involves occasional exposure to demolition and construction sites, and elements such as adverse weather conditions, extreme temperatures, dirt, and dust
- Position requires maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, standing, or walking for prolonged periods of time, as well as for bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling, jumping, climbing, and frequent reaching.
- May be required to work in a confined space, in a high, dangerous place, or be exposed to vibration May frequently work near moving mechanical parts
- May, on rare occasions be exposed to potentially hazardous or cancer-causing agents or chemicals
- May be exposed to the loud noises of a construction site, and of chillers and boilers
- Must be able to climb and maintain balance on a ladder
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 100lbs
- May be required to drive or operate the university's vehicle
- Position is on call 24 hours a day for HVAC related incidents
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
- Demonstrates the essential skills required to use equipment and tools needed to perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Follows maintenance and operation procedures and safety rules to minimize equipment malfunctions and prevent personal injuries.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.