Specialist, Web Support and Publications
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 4212
Title: Specialist, Web Support and Publications
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: External Relations
Job Sub-Family: Communications & Marketing
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 12
Grade Min: $43,001
Grade Mid: $51,601
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Specialist, Web Support and Publications brings awareness about all departmental programs and services by designing, developing, updating and maintaining departmental web page(s) and various social media outlets, on-line forms and publications and may serve as photographer.
- Designs, develops, updates, and maintains departmental and division webpages, ensuring that all text, visual content, navigational links, page layouts, and graphics are relevant and up to date; checks and adjusts SEO components; performs accessibility checks
- Designs, develops, updates, and maintains all marketing materials, including, but not limited to, videos, brochures, flyers, posters, booklets, towels, banners, e-banners, e-cards, social media images, newsletters, and logos
- Ensures that marketing materials are distributed through the most appropriate communication mediums
- Ensures that marketing materials are in keeping with the university branding standards; provides appropriate branding elements
- Collaborates with the UHD Web and Digital Marketing department as required for web-based development projects, graphic marketing, and photography needs
- Serves as a photographer, capturing and reproducing photographic images as required; creates and maintains online photos
- Collaborates with Enrollment Management team members to imagine, conceptualize, and develop themes for campaigns to recruit students
- Evaluates, tests, maintains, and supports software packages; serves as primary technical administrator for various systems
- Designs, develops, updates, and maintains departmental online forms, event calendars, polls, and surveys
- Provides instructional design consultation and services as required
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- May assign work to subordinate(s)
- Trains and counsels subordinate(s). Does not conduct performance evaluations, but opinion is considered when a supervisor is making hiring, promotion, and dismissal decisions.
- Associate's degree, Vocational Certificate, or two (2) years of college course work
- Minimum of two (2) years of related job experience
- None Required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of best practices for producing a wide variety of media assets and marketing materials, and the associated trends and issues
- Excellent technical skills, including proficiency in html5, CSS, Bootstrap, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Strong photography, photo editing, typography, layout design, and video editing skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to summarize and present information
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
- May have occasional exposure to inclement weather conditions and to extreme temperatures
- Must have good spatial awareness, precise hand-eye coordination, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates the ability to express information clearly and concisely in writing.
- Formulates and writes information to effectively communicate messages, ideas, and/or concepts for the intended recipient or audience.
- Uses appropriate words and tone, and correct grammar.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.