Space Planning Analyst
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2553
Title: Space Planning Analyst
Department: Facilities Management
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Facilities Management
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 17
Grade Min: $72,265
Grade Mid: $88,524
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Space Planning Analyst develops and implements a long-range space plan. The Analyst serves as a key liaison between departments to understand space availability and assists in planning space changes. Analyzes and monitors usage across the campus, determines quantifiable space needs and locations, coordinates with university leaders to ensure plans are consistent with university goals and strategies, and compile data to prepare reports for internal and external constituents.
- Manages and facilitates the process of space requests and space assignments and make recommendations and decisions regarding space assignments within his/her delegated authority, which are per the University's master plan and strategic plan. Develops metrics and guidelines based on campus and industry standards for the assignments of space
- Responds to requests for reports and documentation concerning the practical use of facilities and space to assist the University in short- and long-range planning. Prepares plans for the Master Plan of physical facilities, which identify major land uses, building sites, location of utilities, flood control, parking and transportation, open and recreational spaces, community, and residential impact
- Manages, maintains, and updates a complex computerized space management system and databases to facilitate and expedite data usability, accuracy, integrity, and availability for campus planning and space utilization purposes
- Conducts audits of campus space and makes recommendations regarding the reutilization and reassignment of space
- Performs needs assessments for determining actual facilities, land use, and space characteristics; develops space utilization recommendations and solutions to unique project planning, engineering, and administrative problems as needed
- Provides support and expertise to the Space Planning Committee and meets periodically with University leadership to review space issues. Coordinates with university leadership to ensure plans are consistent with university goals and strategies
- Interprets policies and procedures for space requests and utilization
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- General knowledge of building construction and construction processes;
- Knowledge of the management of a campus facilities database and the related trends, issues, and accepted practices
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, and methods of Space Management
- High proficiency in AutoCAD, Adobe, MS Excel, and databases;
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal, and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including meeting deadlines and working under pressure
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment, however, has frequent excursions to construction areas, roofs, and mechanical areas
- Employee will be exposed to normal hazards of construction, demolition, and facilities operations. Work involves some exposure to elements, such as adverse weather conditions, extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, and airborne particles
- Position requires maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, standing, or walking for prolonged periods of time, as well as for bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling, jumping, climbing, and frequent reaching
- May be exposed to moving mechanical parts or potentially hazardous or cancer-causing agents or chemicals
- May on rare occasions, be required to work in a high, dangerous place
- May be exposed to vibration or loud noise
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 25lbs
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
- Demonstrates the ability to express information clearly and concisely in writing.
- Formulates and writes information to effectively communicate messages, ideas, and/or concepts for the intended recipient or audience.
- Uses appropriate words and tone, and correct grammar.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.