Senior Research Analyst
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3622
Title: Senior Research Analyst
Department: Institutional Effectiveness
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Academic Affairs
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 15
Grade Min: $58,809
Grade Mid: $70,571
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Senior Research Analyst produces reports for the university, including federal, state, and for other external requesters. The position extensively checks and corrects data in collaboration with other departments as necessary to ensure accuracy.
- Analyzes, verifies, and corrects mandated reports to the Texas Higher Education Coordination Board, including, but not limited to, the Legislative Budget Board Report, student profiles and numbers, admissions reports, and graduation reports
- Prepares, organizes, and submits data for mandated federal reports, including, but not limited to, IPEDS Completions, IPEDS Enrollment, IPEDS Graduation Reports, IPEDS Admission Report, and IPEDS Outcome Reports
- Prepares and processes data publications such as the annual UHD Fact Book, and Preliminary and Certified Fact Sheets for every semester.
- Prepares and gathers internal data and information for large number of ad-hoc internal and external requests within UHD community, the University of Houston System, and outside the university community, to allow for data-driven decision making and to support other data needs of the university
- Provides and prepares the data for the external questionnaires and surveys, including, but not limited to, the Common Data Set, U.S. News and College Board Surveys, Princeton Review, and Peterson Survey
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of four (4) years of related job experience
- None required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of research and reporting procedures, and the related trends, issues, and accepted practices.
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Access, PeopleSoft, and Power BI;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to meet deadlines; ability to use databases to create queries;
- Ability to maintain professionalism and confidentiality;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Research and Analysis
- Applies knowledge and skills to collect and analyze relevant data and information.
- Assesses benefits and risks, and prepares comprehensive reports of findings.
- Submits recommendations for management's review and evaluation.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.