Basic Position Information
Job Code: 5094
Title: Parking Assistant
Department: University Business Services
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Administrative Operations
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 09
Grade Min: $32,995
Grade Mid: $38,769
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Parking Assistant provides first-line customer service to the campus community regarding parking and transportation services.
- Provides direct front-desk customer assistance to users of the universities parking services; provides information to customers as required; monitors all incoming communications via email and telephone calls; researches and resolves customer problems; recommends solutions to management
- Performs cash-handling activities, including, but not limited to, collecting payments for parking permits and citations, processing all monies received by the parking office, balancing all cash drawers, providing cash drawer closing reports to UHD Cashier's office, and preparing monthly pay station deposits
- Maintains the integrated parking management system, which includes customer information, permit allocations, citations, citation appeals, vehicle information, notifications, access, and revenue control; adds parking fees, processes refunds, and assigns and removes financial holds to and from student financial accounts as necessary
- Issues parking permits to students, faculty, and staff.
- Maintains fleet vehicle information for the university, entering odometer readings and gas receipts each month into the fleet database system
- Processes credit card refunds, sending invoices to the relevant department for billing purposes
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Supervises student workers
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Supervises the work of student employees
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of one (1) years of related job experience
- None Required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the trends, issues, and accepted practices in parking at a higher education campus
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Excel
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong math skills
- Ability to create reports and spreadsheets
- Ability to use new software
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
- Work involves occasional exposure to elements, such as inclement weather and extreme temperatures
- May, on rare occasions, be exposed to fumes or airborne particles
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 30lbs
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.