Mail Services Specialist II
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 5673
Title: Mail Services Specialist II
Department: University Business Services
Essential Personnel: No
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Administrative Operations
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 10
Grade Min: $36,294
Grade Mid: $42,645
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Mail Services Specialist II serves as lead and is responsible for functions regarding logistics of the mail, packages, and palletized merchandise received by and shipped from the university following United States Postal regulations.
- Daily operational functions include all duties related to receiving mail and parcels at UHD. These duties include logistics/receiving, scanning/ tracking, inspecting merchandise for damage, securing merchandise, and delivering to faculty, staff, and students. Research and review purchase orders via People Soft Financial system to identify the correct recipient/delivery destination
- Daily operational functions include collection and processing of outgoing and inter-campus mail, including sorting, preparing labels, applying correct postage, and dispatch according to postal regulations, including delivering to other UH campuses and replenishing the postage meter as appropriate
- Reconciles express account (pay bills, match invoices to bills, charge department); pays/reconciles express/spoiled postage accounts. Prepares cash deposit for spoiled postage refund. Balances daily postage responsible for reconciliation of postage used to report to meter report
- Manages the dock, which includes professionally greeting incoming customers, parking logistics at the dock, ensuring that the dock is not blocked, and reporting parking problems to appropriate personnel; Trains and handles hazardous material according to university safety policies and procedures, including alerting appropriate personnel of any issues
- Maintains records of receipt, mailing dates, and other required information according to university policies and procedures; Works with university community student groups, faculty, staff, and vendors regarding sorting, processing, bundling, and preparing recycling for scheduled pick-ups
- Auxiliary Services responsibilities include food and beverage vending machine audits across all campus buildings assessing functionality, stock levels, and issues regarding pricing or temperature. Responsible for coordinating with unit staff concerning auxiliary donations and deliveries to appropriate departments and maintaining appropriate back-up
- Responsible for care when utilizing University equipment, including the following: postage meter machine, tracking scanner system, recycling baler, utility vehicle/ATV, university vehicle, and forklift, following all applicable university safety procedures and policies
- Reconciles and balances postage files consisting of pulling all postage charges from three permit accounts (marketing mail, business reply, and postage due), charging postage to departments, and reconciling charges against meter mail). Matches charge against account activity report, upload and submit the file to applicable IT staff to be posted. Reconciles express postage charges against the department's financial statement
- Tracks and updates the department's monthly volume (number of packages received, number of incoming vendors, recycling volume) on a spreadsheet; edits and updates mail accounting and Tracking System; Trains incoming staff and student workers;
- Maintains the mail services database (adding and deleting department accounts); handles troubleshooting for all department equipment
- Drives university's vehicles as required
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Supervises part-time employees
Delegation of Work:
- Assigns work of part-time employees
- Trains and counsels subordinate(s). Does not conduct performance evaluations, but opinion is considered when a supervisor is making hiring, promotion, and dismissal decisions
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum of two (2) years of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
- Forklift and electronic pallet jack certification
- Hazmat training
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the United States Postal Service, and of the various classes of mail
- Knowledge of commonly used procedures in shipping and receiving parcels and mail
- Knowledge of the technology used in a mailroom environment
- Knowledge of the appropriate safety protocols in a mailroom environment
- Knowledge of the principals of supervising staff
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent organizational and multitasking skills
- Good attention to detail
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to resolve conflict
- Ability to operate machinery including a forklift and pallet jack
- Ability to maintain records
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Normally works in an interior area within a dock environment and office;
- Frequently works in a dock area.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements
- Position requires maintaining physical condition necessary for standing 40% or walking 40% for prolonged periods of time, as well as for stooping 20%, kneeling 15%, crouching 10%, hearing 40%, seeing 50%, and frequent reaching
- Work involves occasional exposure to elements, such as inclement weather, extreme temperatures, dust, fumes, and airborne particles
- May, on rare occasions, be exposed to the risk of electric shock, potentially hazardous or cancer-causing chemicals, or potentially hazardous bodily fluids
- May, on rare occasions, be required to work in a confined space, near moving mechanical parts, or in a highly dangerous place
- May be exposed to hazardous traffic conditions
- Must have good spatial awareness, precise hand-eye coordination, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- May be required to move items of up to 50lbs
- May be required to operate machinery, including a forklift and pallet jack
- May be exposed to the loud noise of machinery and vehicles
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Communicates clearly, concisely, and with courtesy.
- Carefully listens to customer or thoroughly reads correspondence, and uses good judgment to respond appropriately. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Communicates requests for further action or resources to appropriate individuals with tact.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
- Demonstrates the ability to express information clearly and concisely in writing.
- Formulates and writes information to effectively communicate messages, ideas, and/or concepts for the intended recipient or audience.
- Uses appropriate words and tone, and correct grammar.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
- Demonstrates the essential skills required to use equipment and tools needed to perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Follows maintenance and operation procedures and safety rules to minimize equipment malfunctions and prevent personal injuries.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills in one or more functional areas.
- Effectively applies expertise to identify user issues with existing systems and coordinate resolution with technical staff.
- Understands business processes to successfully integrate them with existing and new systems.
- Competent to coordinate requests for system modifications with technical staff.
- Willing to share expertise and provide functional assistance to others.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.