Director, User Support Services
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2217
Title: Director, User Support Services
Department: User Support Services
Essential Personnel: N/A
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: User Support
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 19
Grade Min: $91,458
Grade Mid: $112,036
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: Vital
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, User Support Services directs the university's essential services related to the deployment, support, security, maintenance, and de-provisioning of all technology and accounts used by students, staff, faculty, alumni, retirees, and guests.
- Plans and directs technology services, including developing and modifying business processes, procedures, and protocols for deliverable technology services, developing and implementing plans and objectives, overseeing and coordinating daily operations, participating in budget development and the monitoring of expenses, and maintaining compliance with external regulations and internal policies
- Manages the User Support Services team, including interviewing, hiring, training, performing annual evaluations, mentoring, managing conflict resolution, managing workflow, creating and managing schedules, and identifying and applying career advancement opportunities
- Plans, directs, and manages projects related to the deployment, upgrade, and decommissioning of systems supported by User Support Services
- Assesses and reports on progress in meeting Information Technology objectives; generates any necessary reports for the executive team; reads subordinates' reports
- Maintains familiarity with relevant industry regulations and quality standards
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Full-time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Business Administration, or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- None required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the concepts and methodologies used to support and maintain SaaS and PaaS systems; knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud, O365, Microsoft Azure, and Windows Virtual Desktop;
- Understanding of Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) support concepts;
- Knowledge of System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT), and KACE
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to supervise the support and maintenance of SaaS and PaaS systems, Adobe Creative Cloud, O365, Microsoft Azure, and Windows Virtual Desktop;
- Ability to develop the required business processes, procedures, and protocols;
- Ability to lead and manage a team
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment and a computer laboratory 2 to 4 hours
- Work is normally performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
- May, on rare occasions, be exposed to potentially hazardous bodily fluids or the risk of electric shock
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 35lbs
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
- Manages department or section planning and assessment consistent with the university's goals and objectives and executive management's directives.
- Develops and oversees administration of the department/section budget to ensure effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment that advances department/section operations and initiatives through motivation, encouragement, and professional development of staff.
- Develops department/section procedures and work rules for compliance with government regulations and university policies; participates in the development and revision of applicable university policies.
- Competently represents the department/section through interactions with the university community and/or external constituents.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.