Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2549
Title: Director, M.E.P
Department: Facilities Management
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Facilities Management
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 19
Grade Min: $91,458
Grade Mid: $112,036
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: Significant
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Director, M. E. P. oversees all components of campus-wide mechanical, electrical and plumbing system operations, installation, renovations, optimizations, repairs and replacements.
- Researches, analyzes, recommends, develops, plans, and implements all components of campus-wide mechanical, electrical, and plumbing system installation, optimizations, repairs, and replacements
- Operates and maintains all campus chiller plants, water and air cooled chillers, cooling towers, direct expansion refrigeration units, water and steam boilers, pumps, valves, air handlers, air and water distribution, controls, and monitoring systems
- Operates and manages the updates required on the energy management system software and devices
- Operates and maintains all campus electrical transformers, switchgear, meters, distribution, panels, circuits, starters, drives, emergency generators, and transfer switches
- Controls and monitors the electrical distribution systems
- Operates and maintains all campus domestic water meters, storage tanks, pumping systems, and water and sanitary distribution systems, devices, controls, and monitoring systems
- Project manages repairs and renovations of drain, waste, and vent piping and related devices
- Tests natural gas piping distribution systems and devices
- Operates and maintains all campus fire alarm, detection, and notification systems; operates and maintains all campus fire suppression detection systems
- Operates and maintains all campus elevator hoist, hydraulic, and gear elevator systems
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Full Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum of five (5) years in plant operations and three (3) years in a supervisory position
- Valid Driver's License
- Certified Educational Facility Professional
- Professional Trade - Master Plumbing License
- Stationary Engineers License
- LEED Accredited Professional
- Bachelor's Degree in science or a related field is preferred
- Minimum of seven (7) years of related job experience is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of the operations of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems, and of the related trends, issues, and accepted practices
- Knowledge of contract administration processes
- Knowledge of energy conservation strategies
- Strong project management skills
- Good leadership skills
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to use multiple software systems
- Ability to manage contractors and staff
- Ability to apply critical thinking
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community, including representatives from both the public and private sector
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Work is performed in an inside and outside environment
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Work involves occasional exposure to unpleasant elements, such as adverse weather conditions, extreme temperatures, oils, dirt, dust, fumes, and airborne particles.
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and will be required to bend, stoop, kneel, crawl, jump, climb, and reach.
- May, on rare occasions, be exposed to moving mechanical parts, hazardous traffic conditions, potentially hazardous or cancer-causing agents or chemicals, potentially hazardous bodily fluids, and the risk of electric shock.
- May, on rare occasions, be required to work in a confined space or in a high, dangerous place.
- May be exposed to vibration or loud noise.
- May occasionally be required to wear a respirator.
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.