Director, IT Project Management Office
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2211
Title: Director, IT Project Management Office
Department: Information Technology
Essential Personnel: No
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: IT Projects
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Job Grade: 20
Grade Min: $105,177
Grade Mid: $128,842
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, IT Project Management Office (PMO) is responsible for the overall IT project management functions, including providing leadership and direction for the IT PMO processes and functions. This role ensures appropriate resources are applied to IT projects and project requirements are achieved in a high quality and timely fashion within budget expectations. The Director works closely with IT leadership and high level project stakeholders including university executives.
- Oversees projects and develops and maintains project management methodologies, standards, and tools
- Leads and develops a team of project managers, ensuring that they deliver projects and programs on time, within scope, and on budget
- Works with project managers and team leads to nurture project management practitioners and share knowledge of industry best practices
- Sets standards for project management capabilities, including certifications and qualifications for project managers, success measurement criteria, methodologies, and tools to be used
- Manages IT project management risks, issues, and the change resolution process; works with other leaders to take corrective action as needed
- Acts as a trusted strategic advisor to the AVP of IT to help determine which projects should be undertaken and the timing of projects
- Provides executive leaders with the information needed to assess which proposals have the highest potential value, impact, and strategic alignment with the university's goals
- Establishes the PMO organization structure, hiring and managing staffing requirements in line with project objectives
- Oversees the delegation of work to Project Managers, Program Managers, and Business Analysts
- Interfaces with executives to define project priorities, to implementation developments, to manage challenges, and to keep them up to date with project risks and opportunities
- Tracks projects; provides project status and audit reports to IT leadership
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- May be asked to respond to problems or provide service after hours
- Expected to carry and respond to cell phone and/or pager at all times
- Serves as on call information technology officer after-hours on a rotating basis
- Full Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- Experience utilizing project management software and working with technology projects
- MBA or Professional degree in Computer Science, Business, Technology, or a related field is preferred
- Seven (7) years of related job experience is preferred
- PMP certification is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Expert knowledge of project and change management and associated methodologies, techniques, processes, and approaches.
- Superior project management skills
- Strong analytical and reporting skills
- Exceptional presentation and communication skills
- Good problem solving skills
- Ability to lead and manage a team of project managers responsible for a broad range of projects
- Ability to deliver large scale, complex, software implementations to enterprise clients on time and within budget
- Ability to build collaborative relationships and to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Manages project stages from proposal to completion ensuring project objectives are met within project budget and projected time frames.
- Clearly defines roles and responsibilities of project team; ascertains and secures necessary resources; and monitors project performance.
- Keeps management apprised of project status.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills in one or more functional areas.
- Effectively applies expertise to identify user issues with existing systems and coordinate resolution with technical staff.
- Understands business processes to successfully integrate them with existing and new systems.
- Competent to coordinate requests for system modifications with technical staff.
- Willing to share expertise and provide functional assistance to others.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.