Director, General Accounting and Financial Reporting
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2095
Title: Director, General Accounting and Financial Reporting
Department: General Accounting
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Financial Services
Job Sub-Family: Accounting, Budget & Finance
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 19
Grade Min: $91,458
Grade Mid: $112,036
UHD Succession Plan: Y
Criticality of Position: Significant
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, General Accounting and Financial Reporting directs and manages the operations and the staff of the Accounting Office. This includes overseeing the preparation and accurate reporting of the University's operating results, financial position and property on a monthly, annual (AFR) and ad hoc basis while ensuring compliance with GAAP, federal, state, UHS and UHD rules and regulations.
- Oversees and manages the general accounting functions, including chart of accounts maintenance, property accounting, state and local accounting, general ledger, bank account and accounts receivable reconciliation, including set-up and reconciling student accounting to finance system
- Directs the preparation of various state and federal reports on a quarterly and annual basis, such as (IPEDS, IFRS, Sources, and Uses, Annual Property Inventory, etc.)
- Oversees the preparation of the University's Annual Financial Report (AFR), including financial ratios, fluctuation analysis, fund equity analysis
- Oversees Property Management, including the whole lifecycle from acquisition to disposal, and is responsible for coordinating with Information Technology (IT) and all departments to complete inventory and produce accurate financial information regarding inventory, including utilizing various systems.
- Directs both internal and external audits in the review of the financial records, including audits regarding accreditation, the implementation of recommendations related to areas of responsibility resulting from audit findings
- Oversees the following: financial system access and security for the university on various financial and reporting systems, including USAS, PeopleSoft Finance, Property Management Systems, state, and federal reporting systems; Changes regarding policies and procedures; training to UHD staff on financial systems and property management
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Supervises full-time employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Makes final decision on evaluating employee performance; coaching and counseling; and granting time off. Provides recommendations on training; handling employee grievances and complaints; promotions; hiring new employees; discharging employees; disciplinary actions; and scheduling work hours of employees.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, Economics or related field
- Minimum of seven (7) years of progressive and relevant experience
- None required
- Master's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, Economics or a related field
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), designation must be current
- Experience in Higher Education
- Experience with PeopleSoft Financials
- Experience with State of Texas Accounting Systems (USAS)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment, which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements.
- Position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about sitting, walking, standing, etc.
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Manages assigned financial resources in compliance with federal, State, and university policies and procedures.
- Monitors expenditures to ensure they are authorized and within approved budget.
- Reports accurate and reliable data of financial transactions and resources.
- Promptly notifies management of budget issues and/or discrepancies.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
Building External Relationships
- Demonstrates the ability to build rapport and develop relationships with external constituents.
- Displays a genuine interest in constituents' ideas and concerns, and pursues mutual interests and aspirations between the university and external constituents.
- Builds trust and forms alliances through shared respect and cooperation.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills in one or more functional areas.
- Effectively applies expertise to identify user issues with existing systems and coordinate resolution with technical staff.
- Understands business processes to successfully integrate them with existing and new systems.
- Competent to coordinate requests for system modifications with technical staff.
- Willing to share expertise and provide functional assistance to others.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.