Director, Environmental Health and Safety
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3050
Title: Director, Environmental Health and Safety
Department: Risk Management & Compliance
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Administrative Operations
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 19
Grade Min: $91,458
Grade Mid: $112,036
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Director, Environmental Health and Safety directs the development and management of a comprehensive university-wide environmental health and safety program to ensure that departments and the community are in compliance with university and regulatory policies, procedures, and work requirements to prevent any harm to staff, faculty, or students, or damage to structures.
- Maintains and ensures compliance with all applicable federal and state rules, regulations, and code standards; interprets regulations on relevant issues to provide practical guidance, support, and training aimed at maintaining and developing best practices.
- Directs the assessment for physical/chemical/laboratory safety and environmental protection functions; reviews with appropriate management and staff, as well as Safety Committees, to implement and execute programs for the prevention and control of EHS risks, including, but not limited to, prevention of injuries, industrial hygiene, indoor air quality, laboratory compliance, hazardous waste and EPA/OSHA compliance, records, and permits.
- Oversees the receipt, storage, distribution, inventory management, and disposal of chemicals, as well as biological and radioactive materials.
- Establishes and monitors key performance metrics, measuring performance progress and evaluating EHS program effectiveness.
- Advises leaders on performance improvements; leads improvement initiatives; directs departments on specific regulatory safety and environmental issues by education and training programs on the requirements from federal, state, and local rules and protocols.
- Directs and provides consultation to general contractors as well as Architects and Engineers engaged in university work, in relation the university's standards and requirements for environmental, health, and occupational safety issues; reviews construction plans for compliance with applicable laws, codes, regulations, policies, procedures, and best practices.
- Serves as the university's primary liaison with government agencies regarding all environmental, occupational, and life safety issues, including, but not limited to, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and Texas State agencies (TCEQ, SDHS SORM, etc.).
- Analyzes and develops environmental health and safety information reporting, consolidating and reporting key EHS statistics monthly, quarterly or annually, as required by outside agencies and for academic accreditation.
- Manages all EHS staff and supervises their development and progression; provides support as required to operating divisions, departments, staff, faculty, and student workers in order to be in compliance with federal, state, and local EHS requirements.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Full Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's degree in Environmental Health and Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Physical Science or a related field
- Minimum of seven (7) years of related job experience, including EHS experience in a higher education environment.
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license.
- Eight (8) years of progressive experience in environmental health and safety is preferred. ASP/CSP, CHMM certification is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of monitoring equipment usage, remediation protocols, Indoor Air Quality principals, hazardous waste management protocols, laboratory safety practices, EPA protocols related to higher education, sustainability issues and tracking for EPA requests, risk management principals, and incident investigation practices.
- Knowledge of the related trends, issues, and accepted practices in a higher education environment.
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office and Blackboard;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to communicate EHS budget needs to upper administration;
- Ability to develop and manage budgets for programs; ability to manage a team;
- Ability to document and track trends; ability to create reports, posters, etc.;
- Ability to lead committees and provide background information on EHS issues;
- Ability to respond to campus hazardous material incidents and other emergencies.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work involves moderate exposure to unpleasant elements, such as adverse weather conditions, extreme temperatures, oils, dirt, dust, fumes, and airborne particles. Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and will be required to bend, stoop, kneel, crawl, jump, climb, and reach. May be routinely exposed to moving mechanical parts, hazardous traffic conditions, potentially hazardous or cancer-causing agents or chemicals, potentially hazardous bodily fluids, and the risk of electric shock. May, on rare occasions, be required to work in a confined space or in a high, dangerous place. May be exposed to vibration or noise. Must have precise hand-eye coordination, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors. Must have the ability to move items of up to 75lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.