Director, Emergency Management
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2653
Title: Director, Emergency Management
Department: Administration & Finance
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Administrative Operations
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: Y
Criticality of Position: Vital
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, Emergency Management maintains responsibility for the daily operations within UHD Emergency Management and Fire Safety. The Director leads, plans, evaluates, and administers comprehensive and evolving emergency management and fire safety programs for all UHD campuses, and serves as a campus expert, assisting in guiding the response and recovery efforts of the university when responding to, preparing for, and recovering from campus emergencies.
- Supports the UHD community by building, sustaining, and improving UHD's capability and capacity to respond and recover from all-hazards ranging from small incidents to catastrophic events.
- Provides subject matter expertise and leadership related to launching continuity plans and coordinating recovery efforts related to disasters and crisis management.
- Ensures that the campus complies with State and Model Codes, through the blending of good inspection practices, community outreach, fire safety education, and regular plan reviews.
- Activates and operates the UHD EOC during disasters and/or critical incidents, coordinating activities and continuously monitoring multiple information sources for the duration of the event, in order to validate, analyze, and synthesize data, resulting in actionable information and briefings for UHD leadership.
- Initiates and coordinates campus preparedness activities with assistance from other campus departments, through periodic review of campus plans, drafting of after-action reports, and implementation of corrective action plans, including testing, training, and equipment purchases.
- Creates, manages, and evaluates safety related campus programs before, during, and after an emergency to enhance campus safety; collaborates with internal and external subject matter experts and partners as necessary to implement the programs; creates the appropriate administrative structure, operating procedures, and program evaluation criteria.
- Works with organizational policymakers to create new models and to enhance and improve existing plans and programs.
- Serves as the Continuity Coordinator for the university.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Full Time and Student Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Professional degree in Emergency Management, Homeland Security Studies, Fire Safety, Fire Engineering, Public Administration, or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- Must comply with Texas State Office of Risk Management (SORM) minimum requirements for Continuity Coordinators within one (1) year of employment
- Certification as an Associate Emergency Manager or Certified Emergency Manager is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of Model Codes NFPA 1, and NFPA 101, and the International Building Code (IBC); knowledge of trends, developments, and best practices of emergency management in higher education setting.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Advanced interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to analyze data from multiple sources to create timely, accurate, and actionable information;
- Ability to create and deliver campus safety
- related training courses; ability to provide leadership and technical expertise.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Manages department or section planning and assessment consistent with the university's goals and objectives and executive management's directives.
- Develops and oversees administration of the department/section budget to ensure effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment that advances department/section operations and initiatives through motivation, encouragement, and professional development of staff.
- Develops department/section procedures and work rules for compliance with government regulations and university policies; participates in the development and revision of applicable university policies.
- Competently represents the department/section through interactions with the university community and/or external constituents.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.