Director, Counseling Services
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2256
Title: Director, Counseling Services
Department: Student Affairs
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Affairs
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 19
Grade Min: $91,458
Grade Mid: $112,036
UHD Succession Plan: Y
Criticality of Position: Vital
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director of Counseling Services is responsible for setting and delivering the mission and vision of the University of Houston-Downtown Counseling Center. The Director is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the Counseling Center. The Director will report to the Dean of Students.
- Provides leadership and vision for the Counseling Center
- Develops and maintains Counseling Center policies, procedures, and protocols in compliance with state/federal requirements, University and System policies, and University mission
- Maintains and oversees department budget, expenditures, revenue, and contracts
- Supervises, manages, and evaluates professional counseling staff
- Assists professional counseling staff by providing professional, short-term counseling services (individual, group, couple), including intake, treatment planning, case management, crisis intervention, and consultation to enrolled students
- Provides assessment and intervention for students in crisis
- Works with UHD Police, Dean of Students Office, faculty and staff to address and respond to students expressing hard to self or others
- Assists with providing an appropriate and coordinated response from the University to personal and campus emergencies involving students
- Develops and maintains partnership with UHD Academic Affairs and other universities for internships and practicum opportunities
- Maintains documentation of sessions and other services using an electronic medical records system
- Collects, assesses, and reports on Counseling Center utilization rates, effectiveness, and student learning outcomes
- Ensures compliance with Family Educational Rights and Privacy (FERPA), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA), and other federal/state requirements for counseling records by supervising the maintenance, security, and proper disclosure of such records
- Provides consultation, training, workshops, presentations, and outreach programs to the campus community related to mental health issues and trends, psychological and behavioral management techniques, and department services
- Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional development courses required by the Dean of Students
- Assists and supports programming for the department division of Student Affairs
- Participates in campus-wide committees as assigned
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Supervises full-time employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Makes final decision on evaluating employee performance; provides recommendations on promotions; salary increases; hiring new employees; dismissals; disciplinary actions; scheduling employee work hours; coaching and counseling; makes final decision on training; handling employee grievances and complaints; granting time off
- Master's in counseling or a counseling-related field from an accredited college or University
- Minimum of five (5) years experience as a professional counselor, with at least three (3) of those years post-internship.
- Clinical supervision experience of master's level therapist and above
- Experience with providing short-term professional counseling, crisis intervention, case management, and group counseling.
- Minimum of three (3) years experience providing supervision to professional counselors
- Experience developing and facilitating workshops, training, and presentations on mental health-related topics to various audiences.
- Licensed Professional Counselor in the State of Texas Licensed Professional Counselor Supervisor (LPC-S) in the State of Texas
- Doctorate in counseling or a counseling-related field from an accredited college or University
- Minimum of three (3) years of full-time experience counseling college students in higher education
- Experience working with first-generation students, returning adult students, and students from urban areas
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of counseling theory, practice, and ethics
- Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed
- Knowledge of current trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- MS Office Programs
- Experience with Information Management Systems
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Multicultural competency
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
- Ability to establish and maintain professional boundaries with students
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment, which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements. Position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about sitting (90%), walking (5%), standing (5%), etc. Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks Work evening and weekends as needed and requested
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Manages department or section planning and assessment consistent with the university's goals and objectives and executive management's directives.
- Develops and oversees administration of the department/section budget to ensure effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment that advances department/section operations and initiatives through motivation, encouragement, and professional development of staff.
- Develops department/section procedures and work rules for compliance with government regulations and university policies; participates in the development and revision of applicable university policies.
- Competently represents the department/section through interactions with the university community and/or external constituents.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Demonstrates the ability to express information clearly and concisely in writing.
- Formulates and writes information to effectively communicate messages, ideas, and/or concepts for the intended recipient or audience.
- Uses appropriate words and tone, and correct grammar.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
Student Success Indirect Support
- Contributes to student success by assisting students with anything that supports their student experience, whether directly or indirectly.
- Helps students navigate their way through the different offices, programs, and services at the university and/or connects students with the appropriate party(ies).
- Connects students with services or resources that can help them with career exploration, goal selection, and ongoing academic assistance.
- Helps students build peer support networks.
- Encourages student participation in out-of-class activities.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Treats students with respect
- Maintains the learning environment to ensure quality and/or sound pedagogy.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.